my win -xp pc is very slow in booting as well as opening in any file how can i speed up the performance of my pc is any spam/virus problem pls suggest me the solution

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Since you didn't mention your PC's Specs, I'll go ahead and assume that they are less than brand new, but don't worry I'll list some tweaks and programs to help you out.

First try downloading, installing, updating and scanning with.

Adaware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - www.safer-networking.org
AVG - www.free.grisoft.com

After you have done that and cleaned any Malware of your system. You might want to try tweak windows and give it a nice speed boost. Make sure to set a system restore point before hand incase something happens. Remember this is windows XD.

Firstly download
XPantispy - kickme.to/XPAntiSpy

As long as you don't plan on doing any remote networking or anything non casual. I mean if you just plan on playing with your email, surf the net, and play games you'll be fine to set it to reccomended.

Next you may want to get rid of pesky programs that run and take up system resouces that would otherwise benefit your system.

Go to Start>Run>services.msc

Disable the following generally useless services.

Alerter
Application Layer Gateway Service,
Application Management
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer
Clipbook
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinater
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility
IMAPI CD-Burning
Indexing Service
IPSEC Services
Messenger
Net Logon
Net Meeting
Remote Desktop Sharing
Network DDE
Network DDE DSDM
Portable Media Serial Number
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Remote Registry
Secondary Logon
Smartcard
SSDP Discovery Service
Telnet Themes
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Upload Manager
Webclient
Wireless Zero Configuration "May disable you wireless internet"
WMI Performance Adaptor

After that is done move on to the next part.

Go to Run again, and this time type msconfig.

Go to Startup

Now look at the starup programs. Type each one you don't recognize into google full filename of course. Find out what each one does and if it's safe to remove. Then uncheck each and every one deemed safe to remove from the start up. Apply and reboot your machine.

Next go to Start>My Computer (rightclick), and Properties. Then go to Advanced tab and select Performance Settings. Select "Adjust for best performance" then click Advanced. Go to Virtual Memory and click Change. Set the value to 1024 minimum and 1024 maximum. then apply and ok your way out.

Also make sure to clean your system from time to time I reccommend a program called CCleaner - www.ccleaner.com

Also make sure you defrag often. A good defrag program is PowerDefrag Lite -
www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Disk_Maintenance_and_Repair_Utilities/Power_Defrag_Lite.html

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Tell me if everything works better, and if you need anything else.

- Ballad

hi, type "msconfig" on "run" in your start menu..
and i think last option is there named as "startup"..
deselect all your enteries will speed up your pc.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.