Hello all,

I am new to this site and I am a complete novice and know little when it comes to the workings of the inside of a computer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (I know I heard about all the problems)

When I bought it through the College I was attending everything worked fine.. this was 3 years ago..

Now on start up I get this

IDE ERROR #1

and my DVD/CD/RW is not detected
at first .. all I had to do was pull it out and push it back in.
(there is a little switch that releases it from the computer no screws necessary)

now That does not even work.. I get lucky every now and again and my computer reads the drive.. but most of the time I can not.

As stated this was the DVD/CD/RW that came with the computer and is not new..

I believe it is a Toshiba drive :?:
Part # ZA2431P03 Serial # 2LCHA054354 TB7-A :eek:
model # UJDA720

DVD-ROM & CD-R/RW Drive

(this information taken from drive it'self)

Is there a fix for my problem?
I heard in another forum something about the 45 and 47 pin???

All I have on this is the female part that goes into the computer..

any information would be very helpful..
and I hope that someday I can be useful on the site too..

Thanks in advance..

Ken Xander
xanderkm@hotmail.com

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

When you say that you pull it out and push it back in do you turn on the computer after it's out, turn off the computer and push it back in and then restart your computer? If not, try doing that and see if the drive is recognized as new hardware.

Your IDE cable should be a 40 pin connector. The UJDA720 is a Panasonic which is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW.

When you say that you pull it out and push it back in do you turn on the computer after it's out, turn off the computer and push it back in and then restart your computer? If not, try doing that and see if the drive is recognized as new hardware.

Your IDE cable should be a 40 pin connector. The UJDA720 is a Panasonic which is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW.

Thank you for the Reply..

Yes I have turned off the computer . taken out Drive.. and restarted with no drive.. and inserted the drive again .. no good.. I have also done this while PC is on.. which has worked before but not now..

thanks again

Ken Xander

Have you looked to see if there are any newer drivers for it, or tried to reinstall the old ones. Files can become corrupted over time.

You can try looking here for drivers, you will have to register to use the site.

the computer with the problem is a laptop

Hello all,

I am new to this site and I am a complete novice and know little when it comes to the workings of the inside of a computer.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 (I know I heard about all the problems)

When I bought it through the College I was attending everything worked fine.. this was 3 years ago..

Now on start up I get this

IDE ERROR #1

and my DVD/CD/RW is not detected
at first .. all I had to do was pull it out and push it back in.
(there is a little switch that releases it from the computer no screws necessary)

now That does not even work.. I get lucky every now and again and my computer reads the drive.. but most of the time I can not.

As stated this was the DVD/CD/RW that came with the computer and is not new..

I believe it is a Toshiba drive :?:
Part # ZA2431P03 Serial # 2LCHA054354 TB7-A :eek:
model # UJDA720

DVD-ROM & CD-R/RW Drive

(this information taken from drive it'self)

Is there a fix for my problem?
I heard in another forum something about the 45 and 47 pin???

All I have on this is the female part that goes into the computer..

any information would be very helpful..
and I hope that someday I can be useful on the site too..

Thanks in advance..

Ken Xander
xanderkm@hotmail.com

it is possible that the connection on the motherboard for the drive has become loose or maybe even a broken solder joint ,you will need to have the laptop taken apart to check this ,could be that you drive has died and needs to be replaced .not likely a driver problem as winxp will load the drivers for the drive .

it is possible that the connection on the motherboard for the drive has become loose or maybe even a broken solder joint ,you will need to have the laptop taken apart to check this ,could be that you drive has died and needs to be replaced .not likely a driver problem as winxp will load the drivers for the drive .

I am strating to think it is a hardware problem.. It use to work when I reinsearted it .. now it does not.. the drive.. spins and everything and if the computer reads the drive.. it works..

So..

I did find out that I have an extended warntee.. so I just may have it looked at..

I called support.. and they said I may need to run the recovery disk..
"here is the funny in that" the CD Drive is the only external/internal Drive I have other than the HD"

thought you all might get a laugh out of that..

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ken

I am strating to think it is a hardware problem.. It use to work when I reinsearted it .. now it does not.. the drive.. spins and everything and if the computer reads the drive.. it works..

So..

I did find out that I have an extended warntee.. so I just may have it looked at..

I called support.. and they said I may need to run the recovery disk..
"here is the funny in that" the CD Drive is the only external/internal Drive I have other than the HD"

thought you all might get a laugh out of that..

Thanks for the suggestions..

Ken

lol,typical tech support .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.