Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
And when i am at work, i first thought VNC would have been able to connect to computers outside of a lan but i have noticed it has not worked.

So what i would like to do is be able to connect from my work computer to my home computer, so an external connection, if anyone could help me with this, i would be greatly appreciative.
Please help me, and thank you =]

Gian-Luca

I know i have posted this sumwhere else but i'm just trying to get as much help as i can please and thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi, Im no expert at networking but i think Wireless Lan is out of the question unless you live next door to work lol. but what i think you arebest doing is asking you work's network techy (network guy) and ask him if there is a way of accessing the work's server from home. He might be able to give you all the needed server info for you to access the server but he might not be able to help.

So I hope this helps but as I say i'm not an expert at Networking. Hope this helps.

Dave.

Member Avatar for nicentral

VNC should work as long as there is a hole punched through the firewall at both ends. However, this is not a secure method of connecting unless you are running Windows Server at home and you can create a VPN connection. There are also ways of connecting using Remote Desktop, but again, you'd need the holes in the right places and the VPN. Finally, if you're really up to it, you can install OpenSSH on Windows and get a command line. This is a secure connection and you should be able to get through the firewall with it.

If the ports are open on your work's firewall, you can connect to a VNC server at your home. However, you will need to run port forwarding on your home's router.

You'll need to look in the router's documentation on how to do this, but you basically forward port 5900 on the router to port 5900 on your VNC system's IP address. Then, things should work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.