Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I am waiting on my xp disk to arrive in the mail. The computer is finished and would really like to get it up and running. Could I use my xp pro disk to install and when the new disk comes use the key off of it or would that be too much of a hassle? Any ideas on this?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

That is possible, except you need to enter the key during installation so you wouldn't get very far.

But the keys themselves aren't specific to a CD, so each CD will work with each key you may have (for the same version of XP of course, an XP Pro key won't work for an XP Home CD for example, and most likely a Dutch XP Pro key won't work with a German XP Pro CD).

I am waiting on my xp disk to arrive in the mail. The computer is finished and would really like to get it up and running. Could I use my xp pro disk to install and when the new disk comes use the key off of it or would that be too much of a hassle? Any ideas on this?

Yes you can install with the the XP Pro disk that you have but you must change the product key before you can activate the product. When you you get the activation screen do not activate now. When your new CD arrives by mail then follow the steps
click on start> programs> accessories>system tools>activate windows>Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows>Next> Change product Key (here enter your new product key)> update> telephone and follow the onscreen instructions to complete activation

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.