Over the past few weeks, I have been attempting to "tweak" my computer to allow for better gaming. I have an older Dell with a P4 and 1 gig or RAM running Windows XP HE. I have been tweaking via msconfig and also services. Now, I have done something that whenever I try to play a video through Windows Media Player, the video will not play, it seems to stick with the message "opening media". I then shut down WMP, but when I do, my screen refresh rate sits at a crawl. I then open Task Manager and find that explorer.exe is using 99% of my CPU. As soon as I end wmplayer.exe, the CPU usage goes back to 2% and all is good again. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have done to get this? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Over the past few weeks, I have been attempting to "tweak" my computer to allow for better gaming. I have an older Dell with a P4 and 1 gig or RAM running Windows XP HE. I have been tweaking via msconfig and also services. Now, I have done something that whenever I try to play a video through Windows Media Player, the video will not play, it seems to stick with the message "opening media". I then shut down WMP, but when I do, my screen refresh rate sits at a crawl. I then open Task Manager and find that explorer.exe is using 99% of my CPU. As soon as I end wmplayer.exe, the CPU usage goes back to 2% and all is good again. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have done to get this? Thanks in advance.

Mike

By tweaking msconfig, you might have accidently turned off something windows media player requires.

Try downloading winamp to see if that makes any difference?

http://www.winamp.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.