Ok, here's the scenario, someone is using Windows XP with the latest patches. it's an IBM t41. User logs on to an Active Directory Domain. the user accounts are Local (not roaming).

The issue is one day the user logs on and he get the following error:

[User Environment]

Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

[OK]
******************** when we click OK **************
it reads:

Detail - An I/O operation initated by the regitry failed unrecoverably. the registry could not read in, or write out, or fulush, one fothe files that contain the sytems' image of the registry

[OK]

Ok actually i forgot which window came up first , i think it maybe the other way around.

But in any event the symptoms are when he finally logs in his script still works and he can still get to his U: drive an other network drives. However his desktop is empty and My Documents folder is empty.

When you right click Start button and explore it's on the c:\documents and settings\temp ...

he can get to his c:\documents and settings\%his name% folder no problem.

Other than of course re-imaging the system, what would be a actual legitmate fix for this, and what may have caused it?

Any suggestion is appreciated and thank in advance as always!!

have you tried a last known good configuration?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.