Hi,

I desperately need some help...

I have a brandnew pc, with Windows XP home edition. I restored my backup of user data on a second drive (which I made "My Documents"). Ownership is fine and states my user id on all files.

Now, when I MOVE a file from one directory to another on that drive, no way I can access this file anymore. When COPYING it to the directory, it is no problem, and I can access it.

The problem is, i moved a few thousands of images from one directory to another on the drive, and as you can guess... Can't recuperate them anymore.

I tried booting safe mode, took ownership as administrator, but even then... Access Denied.

Still, when logged on under my own profile, files are my own.

this drives me nuts :(

I looked at Services. Indexing is not running. Something somehow is either locking these files after moving or I miss something altogether. Oh yes, it is Windows XP home edition, SP2. Latest updates installed.

Thanks for any help.

Dodi

Contributor
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by digidodi

Partly answering my own question. Seems to be related to the difference in security attributes behaviour Windows has when moving or copying files on a volume.

I could give mypc\administrators ownership of the D: drive and all subdirectories on it. since my account is member of administrators, I can now access the files I moved.

But ok, that is not ideal... How on earth to give the entire D: drive back to myself as owner with all privileges. I want mypc\myaccount to be owner of the drive...

Thanks.

dodi

Hi,

I desperately need some help...

I have a brandnew pc, with Windows XP home edition. I restored my backup of user data on a second drive (which I made "My Documents"). Ownership is fine and states my user id on all files.

Now, when I MOVE a file from one directory to another on that drive, no way I can access this file anymore. When COPYING it to the directory, it is no problem, and I can access it.

The problem is, i moved a few thousands of images from one directory to another on the drive, and as you can guess... Can't recuperate them anymore.

I tried booting safe mode, took ownership as administrator, but even then... Access Denied.

Still, when logged on under my own profile, files are my own.

this drives me nuts :(

I looked at Services. Indexing is not running. Something somehow is either locking these files after moving or I miss something altogether. Oh yes, it is Windows XP home edition, SP2. Latest updates installed.

Thanks for any help.

Dodi

Solved...

Why does Microsoft needs to make things THAT complicated. At least now I know that one has to boot failsafe in order for an account to be able to change the ownership of a drive or folder :( I was looking for the Simple Security option in explorer, but that exists only in XP Pro.

Sigh...

Dodi

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.