Today I was trying to install a new codec. when i clicked on it. The computer restarted immediately. I know this is not good. After the boot up a message appears. "Your system has recovered from a serious error." I Tried to install the codec again with the same results.
This also happened the other day when scanning for spyware. I was using A squared Free and the same thing happened again. The Error signature report said this "BCCode:1000008E BCP1: C000008E BCP2: B989DE82 BCP3: AA0FE30C BCP4:00000000 OSVer:5_1_2600 Sp:2_0 Product 256_1" I don't know what any of this means but I'm tired of this happing. My System is as follows, Windows XP Media Center Edition SP 2. Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 984MHz, 2.50 GB of RAM. I'm pretty confidant that is't not a virus or spyware , But I don't want to rule out anything yet. If anyone can help please do so. Thank You In Advance

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Well, try to run the last goon known configuration, its on the boot screen mode, near the safe mode. Or try to enter safe mode and delete all files, refering to this codec (from regedit also). If this won't help it's better to re-install Win.

hi, if you have the chance to boot into safe mode try using the system restore..

Well it only restarts when I try to install the Codec I've since gone back to my old one with no problem but it makes me wonder what is causing this. as far as the Registry I use CCleaner and Tune Up Utilities 07 to clean up those loose ends. The codec is the Latest K-lite codec, my old one is from the same people just really out dated. I'm also starting to think that it might have something to do with a conflict in "Spy ware Terminator " although I can't be sure. As far as safe mode and the other suggestion my system works fine (although I did try what you suggested) It only happens when i try to install the codec. Now that i think of it the same thing happened a month or so ago when using a benchmark program. If that helps. Once again thanks for the help.

That's so odd you say that cause I got it from File Hippo it was version 3.25 full. Maybe it's not compatible with my rig? I don't know I'd like to try something else but I don't want to keep trying things causing the restart to happen again and again. Will these restarts cause any damage to my system?

i had a problem like this before, i try to install a sound driver to my system then after installing it restart immediately, only to find out that my hardware is not supported by the OS anymore its outdated already, but i'm not saying that your hardware is old already..just sharing my experience....well i think if your computer keep restarting over and over again..it might damage your HDD..it's not good doing power cycling to your system..

That's so odd you say that cause I got it from File Hippo it was version 3.25 full. Maybe it's not compatible with my rig? I don't know I'd like to try something else but I don't want to keep trying things causing the restart to happen again and again. Will these restarts cause any damage to my system?

I would try 3.01 full ,I don't think the restarts will cause any physical damage,could corrupt you registry maybe, .thing is you system should not restart just because you click on a exe file

I've tried several other versions. But to no avail, I'm sick at the thought of this. You're right my system shouldn't restart because of this. is there anything i can do or am I stuck with this codec and Weired system

I've tried several other versions. But to no avail, I'm sick at the thought of this. You're right my system shouldn't restart because of this. is there anything i can do or am I stuck with this codec and Weired system

go to control panel,administrative tools/event viewer/system ,and see if it displays the shutdown error

It Says "the Following boot start or system start drivers failed to load" "eeCtrl"
The link Provided states:
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

Do all of the following:

1. Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
  2. Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers

So I guess now the question is, what driver am I looking for and Do I need to do anything with it? Once again I appreciate all the help I'm getting here.

from what i can find in a google search ,that file belongs to Symantec Eraser Control,or Norton ,did or do you you have Norton antivirus installed . if you recently uninstalled it it may have left that file behind ,i suggest norton removal tool to clean all nortons from you computer ,Or,If you have Norton install then i suggest you uninstall with the tool,and reinstall Noton to fix that file
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Much Appreciated! My rig came with Norton but I gave it the heave ho after the 60 day trial period. I thought I got rid of all that Norton junk.... I'm gonna give the removal tool a try and see what happens. I'll check back soon. Thanx Caper!!

Worked like a charm! I installed the codec after using the removal tool and Bam! no restart or problems. I would like to thank all who posted a response, especially Caperjack. I Appreciate the help gents

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.