Hi everyone
My friend and I have just obtained an older HP Pavillion running XP Pro Service Pack 1 and I am trying to upgrade to SP2. Whenever I go to MS Update or Windows Update I get a message stating: 'Your current security settings prohibit Active X controls. As a result this page may not displayed properly.' This means that I cannot get into MS Update and that means that I cannot update. I would like to fix this problem instead of buying the SP2 CD from Microsoft.

Thanks in Advanced
tancomputerlab

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

In the right-pane, double-click the value 1200 and set it's value to 0

1200 corresponds to Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins setting

Repeat the same in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ Zones \ 0

I tried that but when I got there it already was set to zero

Go into control panel -> internet optuions. Set all zones and settings to default (there are buttons)

your kinda screwed then. You still need the activex even if you have the SP2 cd i think

i just ended up re-formatting the machine and it works now so...

the fix would be to download the version of sp2b thats called something like "network deployment image for IT professionals). Its a giant .exe file and works in safe mode etc... and on machines where ms update is disabled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.