My E-Machine #W2888 HD will not boot in a different CP.I do not have the installation CD but do have the CD Key .Also have the Restore CD but The config file was purposely corrupted to not let system boot in ny other machine.How can I get around this. Joe

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

no, your HD will not boot in another machine because drivers, chipset specs, HAL would be all for the other motherboard, vid card and other peripherals.. you will have to reinstall the OS. If you have the key then any version of XP which matches your original installation that the key was for should do... eg OEM, full retail etc... borrow a CD.
Obviously the config directory files in your Restore CD are meant soley for your emachine - same reason.

if you can get a winxp bootable cd, u can run a repair and do a fixboot your pc will be back up, However you can always do a completed restore, which mean you will loose all data thats presentl;y on the HD ( there is not way aroung that but a back up) as what gergil said the cd nor your hd will work in anyother pc, the compress bin fin in the cd is made specific for your emachine. you can put the hd in anoher pc and save the files u need then do a full restore of the HD in the emachine

no, your HD will not boot in another machine because drivers, chipset specs, HAL would be all for the other motherboard, vid card and other peripherals.. you will have to reinstall the OS. If you have the key then any version of XP which matches your original installation that the key was for should do... eg OEM, full retail etc... borrow a CD.
Obviously the config directory files in your Restore CD are meant soley for your emachine - same reason.

Thanks gerbil.Thats the way I see it also.Have been trying to find a XP Home CD to copy but no luck yet.

Someone's just gotta have one.... I think Gates' has gotten XP into 2 of 3 homes! Home has to be in 1 of 3?
Anyway, when you do find one you could try a Repair if Setup recognises the installation....

Someone's just gotta have one.... I think Gates' has gotten XP into 2 of 3 homes! Home has to be in 1 of 3?
Anyway, when you do find one you could try a Repair if Setup recognises the installation....

Done repair many times.At this point just trying to expand my abilty to setup my kids CP`s.I am just an old duffer with poor vision but lots of free time.I have been running XP PRO 5 years now and have learned a lot.LOL

Ah... computers... esp those running windows.. lotsa free time comes in handy, and yes, you do learn stuff, some of which you really should not need to know.
Cheers and good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.