WinXP SP1, Dell PC; it happened before, and everything started acting strange; I did a system restore, and it seemed ok; then it happened again two days later; I did a system restore again, and it seems ok so far; this error occurred while looking at a web page that I've viewed many times before, w/o problems; the last time it happened, an event hit my firewall at the same time, but that may be a coincidence; this time, no activity on the firewall; is this someone trying to get into my computer, or is there something wrong with my IE? Thanks for any help...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Could be a number of things.

- Do you get any more info in the error messages than "Run time error, do you wish to debug?"?

- Does the debug error seem to come from Internet Explorer, or do you also get when IE isn't running?

and everything started acting strange

Please elaborate on that if possible. Remember- we aren't sitting at your computer, so giving us as much specific info as you can will help us get this solved most quickly.

Could be a number of things.

- Do you get any more info in the error messages than "Run time error, do you wish to debug?"?

- Does the debug error seem to come from Internet Explorer, or do you also get when IE isn't running?

Please elaborate on that if possible. Remember- we aren't sitting at your computer, so giving us as much specific info as you can will help us get this solved most quickly.

I think it's coming from IE. But now my other computer(notebook) is acting weird-I was looking at the news off of the earthlink bar, like I do everyday, and it said "script error line 54", and I had to click OK like 6 times to make it go away. Earlier today, I was trying to do a Windows update (on the notebook), and it downloaded but wouldn't install the updates, nor would it allow me to turn on automatic update. I tried to do a system restore, got an error message related to the rstui.exe file; I restarted it, and then it let me do a system restore. The script error happened several hours after that. Just weirdness, you see what I mean? I just switched from AOL, and I never had any problems like this with their browser, so that is making me think it's the IE. I can't really tell you more just yet, I've had so many tech problems lately that they're getting all mixed up in my head (problems w/new notebook). I will re-post as soon as it happens again. PS I have a cable modem>wireless router>wired to desktop, PC card in notebook, but they aren't "networked" as of yet, they don't know each other is there. They were, but my notebook was shipped brand new w/a faulty RAM module, had to replace it, and had to totally wipe the hard drive (in the notebook).

Uhh, I might be missing something, but did you try to debug something when this happened? Is that the problem? If not, why don't you just disable the debugger so it doesn't pester you forever, prompting you to debug.

Tools> Internet Options > Advanced Options > Browsing > Disable Script Debugging

commented: Makes sense to me, that's what I would have tried first. +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.