g'day new friends,

we have the following pop up warning window:

<Could not load File or Assembly 'MOM.Implementation, Version=2.0.2736.38608, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba0c70f846762e' or one of its Dependencies, The system cannot find the file specified>

we do not have the option to revert to an earlier restore point as a lot has happened in 8 weeks this problem has been with us after installing the drivers for a radeon X300-SE.

i have uninstalled/reinstalled .net 1.0/1.1, i have updated/repaired .net 2.0 and installed latest version of .net 3.0.

yet this problem persists is ther a fix please.

the X300-SE card was a temporary card whils our regular card was being repaired under warranty, the X300-SE card is not now in our machine we no longer have it.

all assistances appreciated please

tia

len

Recommended Answers

All 58 Replies

I reckon you've correctly fingered the problem and getting rid of it could be simple or frustrating.

Basically the system wants to load something you reckon you uninstalled. It means there's an active registry key that needs removing. It is orphaned and so the variuous reg cleaner utilities (I use Norton WinDoctor) should be able to clear this up. You should be so lucky, eh?

I wonder if the value 90ba0c70f846762e is searchable in your registry. If it is, you do stand a good chance of fixing this problem.

g'day Suspishio

how do i go about searching for that value in the registry?

i use ccleaner it is a freeware and so far it hasn't picked it up, is windoctor freeware?

tia

len

WinDoctor is Norton Utilities.

Advanced WindowsCare (Personal) is freeware. www.iobit.com

What I suggested about the registry key may be a blind alley - but it's one of the two things I listed that I would try. My diagnosis is likely to be correct and I'm opting here for the simple solution which is by no means sure but isn't going to harm your system.

I'm not sure I should be telling you how to do this if you're not sufficiently geek to know how to deal with the Registry. But if you follw these instructions and you'll be ok.

1/
Start/Run/Regedit

2/
Edit/Find --> look at Keys/Values/Data
Find what: 90ba0c70f846762e
click Find Next

3/
If it's there, the entry will be displayed. Note all the contents and where it's located in the hierarchy on the left of the screen and report.

4/
Exit regedit by clicking the red X.

g'day Suspishio,

whilst i am not a whiz kid geek age being the limiting factor i am somewhat conversant with computers to the point that over the years i have ahd to learn my way around somewhat in order to be able to fix problems without the need to run off to a repair centre.

so i will try <iobit.com> initially then i will do the search if i get to a point that is too technical i will come back and ask further questions if that is ok by you?

this is the best help i have been given to date so for that i am appreciative, my pleasure will be when this annoying window is gone for good.

tia

len

ok Suspishio,

tried the reg edit search first but no worries it didn't find the value.

len

me again Suspishio,

ok wow it found 693 problems whatever, i would not be game enough at this stage to fix them all and what time it will take to work through each problem?

looks like ccleaner isn't doing a terribly good job maybe well not in the registry scans at least?

might also explain why the machine gets a little tardy at times.

anyhow what would you suggest from here please?

If you just let AWC do the Registry scan, then 693 isn't unusual. I just ran the same scan and got 463 on my well behaved system.

To be safe, go into Regedit and export the whole Registry into My Documents. That's File/Export --> Export Range: ALL -->File name: 071017Sav

Then we can import it back if anything subsequently goes wrong.

Then let AWC clean your Registry - all the discovered problems. If possible keep a copy of what it listed in case we need to diagnose later - but that's a real pain and 99.9% meaningless for the specific problem.

If you let AWC look at Spyware etc. what did it report?

g'day Suspishio,

with the back up i have win xp will creating the restore point be the same, the program asked me that one so i ceated my own then let it create its own restore point but then i got week kneed about all that list, will wait for your opinion on the restore point before i act.

i have only used the program for the registry check so far once i get through this i will check all other areas.

tia

len

Go ahead and let it fix the Registry. You've got the restore point. In fact I went round to my other son's place a couple of hours ago - did the same thing for 1075 registry errors. Hit repair and voila - a whole raft of problems went away (but nothing of the type you reported was one of his problems).

So go ahead.

thanks mate,

will let you know

ta

len

ok,

have repaired all those 600+ items, no boot up problmes created so all is fines except we still have that annoying .mom window popping up.

did spyware removal it found 2 items now fixed.

the security defence check shows 30k+ items unprotected will do that later but for now need to get rid of that window which has some thing to do with the radeon vid card driver i downloaded and .net frameworks.

tia

What you tried at my suggestion was sound first principle stuff and I'm disappointed that it wasn't effective. Lurking stubs are a good bet in many cases. I'm convinced there's a lurker making a .NET service call that can't be fulfilled.

What does Task Manager report as running processes that could possibly be related to this when the message appears?

So, perhaps a different set of first principles to try - but you might not want to.

1/
De-install and re-install .NET 2 (not to worry about the others - I believe the Radeon drivers were constructed to this framework).

2/
Put the Radeon card back in and re-install. Note the driver versions.

3/
Because we suspect the driver implementation under .NET 2, let's accept .NET on trust and suspect the version of the drivers and utilities provided with the Radeon card.

4/
Go to the ATI web site and see if you can find earlier versions of the driver. Try this before going to later versions. Update the drivers. I don't expect you'll be getting this MOM message but if you do, we've got to think again! Note the date and time at which driver installation took place.

5/
When the system's working with the Radeon card, Uninstall the software from control panel and then the hardware likewise.

7/
Let Windows detect and install your target graphics card.

6/
Clean up the Registry and note the contents of the report, looking for Radeon related stuff. But, strictly speaking, the problem should have gone away because.

Famous last words - but you're there with the problem and I'm here second guessing the whole thing and calling only on general experience to help you deal with this.

g'day suspisho

What you tried at my suggestion was sound first principle stuff and I'm disappointed that it wasn't effective. Lurking stubs are a good bet in many cases. I'm convinced there's a lurker making a .NET service call that can't be fulfilled.

What does Task Manager report as running processes that could possibly be related to this when the message appears?

>i will check task manager next time i boot up with that window still displayed

So, perhaps a different set of first principles to try - but you might not want to.

1/
De-install and re-install .NET 2 (not to worry about the others - I believe the Radeon drivers were constructed to this framework).

>did a repair last time but will un-install it this time and then reinstall.

2/
Put the Radeon card back in and re-install. Note the driver versions.

>no can do now the card has gone back to the computer shop.

3/
Because we suspect the driver implementation under .NET 2, let's accept .NET on trust and suspect the version of the drivers and utilities provided with the Radeon card.

>yes that is when all this started when we tried loading the vid' drivers it asked us to >update .net 2 before we could install radeon drivers.

4/
Go to the ATI web site and see if you can find earlier versions of the driver. Try this before going to later versions. Update the drivers. I don't expect you'll be getting this MOM message but if you do, we've got to think again! Note the date and time at which driver installation took place.

>mmm not sure what you mean but as i can't find the left over radeon driver i have no idea >what version it was we just searched for X300-SE driver and downloaded.

>our card is a an MSI PCI-E 256MB RX1300PRO

5/
When the system's working with the Radeon card, Uninstall the software from control panel and then the hardware likewise.

>if i had known this was going to be so difficult to track down i would have done that but too >late now.

7/
Let Windows detect and install your target graphics card.

>beyond that now

6/
Clean up the Registry and note the contents of the report, looking for Radeon related stuff. But, strictly speaking, the problem should have gone away because.

>ok will do another registry clean and see what is what.

>thank you for your patience

>can't believe this could be such a vexing problem

Famous last words - but you're there with the problem and I'm here second guessing the whole thing and calling only on general experience to help you deal with this.

ok back again,

ran all the checks in <advanced windows care>

the computer is running that much quicker that .mom window persists.

ran <task manager> under <processes> mom.exe shows when that window is visible on the desk top.

tried un-installing .net 2.2 it won't allow that to happen refers me to technical help or something.

tia

len

We're getting somewhere - perhaps. Spread the ideas wide and one of them might turn something up.

I would find MOM.EXE and it's associated DLL (not sure what it's called - try searching for MOM*.DLL - or maybe that's what's missing!); then I woud delete MOM.EXE from your system. It might also be present in the STARTUP tab of MSCONFIG. If so, you'd want to remove it from STARTUP by unticking it. MOM.EXE is entirely useless to you if not running the Radeon Card.

Incidentally if MOM.EXE is running, there'll be a C:\ATI directory or similarly named. That should be deleted too. If you have trouble deleting MOM.EXE etc, you could boot up from the Windows CD and manualy delete on the hard drive; or put the HDD onto another PC and delete the stuff from there. However once you've removed MOM.EXE and/or it's DLL from Startup and rebooted, it should not be a problem to delete.

So try what I've now suggested before we persist with the re-install. You can see what I was trying to achieve; get the system back into a state of grace and then gracefully de-install, although Sod's Law often operates you back to square one.

Anyway, let us know.

ok my friend here goes,

i found the MOM. in the search, it is in a folder in my programs folder, that folder is <ATI technologies>

now is it as easy as deleting the whole ATI folder?

in the folder i have found 3 references to MOM one is an icon an other is an MS DOS batch file, and MOM foundation.dll.

look forward to further instructions tia

len

sorry ATI is also listed in the uninstall section in add or remove software

I thought you'd tried the uninstall some while back! We've been through a whole load of palaver on that basis.

Well, do that first. If the ATI folder is still there after uninstall, get rid of that by DEL.

Task Manager should not be showing MOM.EXE running after the uninstall. If it is, the folder may not delete. You can Terminate the program in Task Manager Processes and then it should delete.

Then, of course, clean your Registry up. I do that regularly.

ok suspisho,

sorry if i have messed you around but i may have missed the imprtance of when ati was mentioned, your help is very much appreciated.

ok ati is uninstalled and mom.exe and that window are gone.

but now when i reboot it keeps saying i have new hardware (vid card) installed, the original driver for our vid card should still be intact would that be so?

tia

len

Don't tell me - the other card is an ATI card too!. All I can say is "don't do it, Hymie".

This household long ago deserted ATI for nVidia and if you get the chance, do the same IMHO.

Anyway, you're gonna have to dig out your drivers and install them. Best way is to beet into Safe Mode so you're in basic video mode and re-install from there.

g'day suspisho,

don't know how to tell if our card is an ati card?

the only problme we ahve now the uninstall is when i slide the screen down it happens in a rolling kerky fashion.

this is the details of waht i know about our card:

VGA04408 MSI PCI-E 256MB RX1300PRO

tia

len

just looked in device manager:

in 'other devices'
?other devices
?video controller
?video controller (vga compatable)

tia

len

It is an ATI card in the Radeon Family. In device Manager you can Update Driver or Uninstall as you wish. I'd Uninstall, reboot, have your drivers disk handy and let it re-install. Or you can uninstall as I said before from Control Panell Add/Remove.

You're on the verge of succeeding. Is there anyone next door or something who knows their way round this sort of stuff?

g'day suspisho,

your all i got right now mate.

i ahve the disc with the drivers should i just insert the disc and install from there or reboot and follow the new hardware window to the cd and then let it install.

will wait your reply

if it is quicker

send me an e/mail gardenlenAThotmail.com

tia

len

going to reboot and go from there.

len

I think it's best to uninstall the device in Safe Mode. Your card will continue to deliver basic VGA. You can then re-install in safe mode. When all that's done, when you re-boot things should be fine.

All very time consuming but it's short cuts that lead to the MOM problem.

ok i did waht i said i was going to do but the rolling down the screen is still jerky.

how do i get into safe mode with xp

so when i go into safe mode where do i go to unistall the device?

tia

len

You hit F8 when you hear the first beep on reboot, just as the BIOS screen finishes displaying.

You will be offered a boot menu - chose Safe Mode with Networking.

In Safe Mode, log on as Administrator; if you never set a password for this default user, you canleave this blank.

In Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and remove the ATI/Radeon video drivers if they are klisted there.

In Add/Remove Hardware. uninstall the Video Card.

Reboot back to Safe Mode - it should pick the card up and re-install. If it offers you the option to go to the web for software, say Yes. Also put your drivers CD into the drive.

It should go smoothly from there!!!!!

just before i do safe mode would it be easier to go back to the restore point before i uninstalled the ati software and then delete the MOM. refferences from the ati program?

tia

len

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.