Seems a few problems have cropped up. I will list the symptoms below.
I feel they are related, since they have all started concurrently.
* In Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs will start to load, then gray-out after several seconds. No error ever pops up. Only by killing the process will it go away.
* Automatic Updates: Initially, I chose for updates to be automatically downloaded and installed. However, the icon in the task bar forever indicated that 0% has been downloaded. Also, isn't this icon supposed to bring up something when clicked? Mine doesn't.
* IE works fine, except when I go to the Microsoft Update site. When I do, IE freezes up, and can only be stopped by terminating the program.
* Did the usual virus/spyware scan stuff
* Disabled automatic updates
* Re-installed IE6
* Did sfc /purgecache followed by sfc
/scannow. Is this totally silent, because nothing was indicated as being replaces during these processes.
* MS Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, Service Pack 4
* Pentium 4 CPU, 1.80 GHz
* RAM: 1 gig
* IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106 SP1 (as you probably know, I can not update to IE 7 with a Win2K OS)
Can anyone offer some suggestions?