Dear all,
Our office we havin internetnet access to server only, from client machines we people can send and receive mails using outlook 2003., the outlook 2003 is configured with the local server ip(not internet) in the server ., the PST files are stored . The server is not Having Microsoft Exchange itself!!!?? Please help me out how it is working???
Thanks in Advance

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am not sure what is the problem here.

Do you have outlook 2003 installed on all client PC?
Is the server for these Pc's running Outlook 2003 also.?
When you do send and receive what happen., what is the error message?

Yes the clients are outlook 2003 installed
In server im not sure about out look 2003
We are sending and receiving mails whenever we need(every day).
In client machines Outlook is configured with servers private ip address but server is not configured with Microsoft exchange.
PST files of All client machines are stored in the same server.
No problem with mail sending and receiving !!!!

Im asking how this setup is working? What is the concept? (IT admin did not open his mouth)

Yes the clients are outlook 2003 installed
In server im not sure about out look 2003
We are sending and receiving mails whenever we need(every day).
In client machines Outlook is configured with servers private ip address but server is not configured with Microsoft exchange.
PST files of All client machines are stored in the same server.
No problem with mail sending and receiving !!!!

Im asking how this setup is working? What is the concept? (IT admin did not open his mouth)

on the server side they MUSt have exchange server running, thats how they can add user, give right and that sort of stuff, as for your pst file it is stored on the server for a few reason, one you can log on to any pc on the network and use the mail program, also it is better for backing up, insted on trying to run back up for all client pc (backup takes longer and will not run if you have the program opem) next it is beter manage by the admin than having the file on your pc, YOU can have your own pst file on your pc but you wouyld have ro creat a person folder and then create directory for the type of mails, for examlpe you can creat a sent item sub folder and coppy all your mails there, this pst will be saved on the user HDD. i hope this answer your questions. Let me know

no need for exchange to use simple mail services on 2003 server. it has it's own built in pop3 and smtp server. pst can be also redirected to a share on the server. not the best setup, but it works, more or less.
exchange would be the case if outlook worked with ost files instead of pst, and not only mails, but also calendars and shared resources were in place

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.