Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have vista 64 as my main os. Would it be best to run a dual boot using xp pro or to make a virtual machine and add xp pro that way?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If you used that XP to upgrade to vista from ,you will not be able to activate it, by the way

Nope. Brand new full retail for all.

Dual boot. Its better that way.

If im corect, i think that vista now has the handy ability to shrink NTFS partitions now under disk management, or else you could use a livecd like the GParted one

Ok. Why do you say dual boot is better? Thanks.

because then you get access to your real hardware, and things tend to run faster.

he is right dual boot will make the operating system run a lot faster, but if you need to have both o/s running at the same time for some reason then a virtual machine is the way to go. Also make sure you make two seprate partitions or better yet use two different hdd. There are some good tutorials on installing vista with xp worth a read

Just google to find them?

yer google is the way forward i cant rember which way round your ment to do it whether its vista first then xp or install xp first then vista.

xp first i think. The older windowses are picky

MS have lots on dual booting 2000 and XP, which ive used before. should be ones for vista

yep i think you right and then xp will be under older windows systems on the boat loader menu

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.