I just found an old HP Pavilion in my basement that hasnt been used in a while. I thought I would set it up. I formated the HD and install a fresh copy of XP Pro with Service Pack 2. Worked great as I was setting it up, and when Windows was first on.

I started downloading drivers from the HP site since I lost the CD. I found almost all of the drivers except for one. Then I restarted my computer. When I restarted it, by computer was stuck in 4-bit color depth. I checked out my freshly installed video adapter. It showed "Device was unable to allocate resources do to a memory conflict ". So my video card doesnt work at all. I called up HP tech support and they gave me drivers for the controllers that were still uninstalled, apparently they were causing the problems.

The first time I restarted my computer after that, things went great. Then I installed some software that required a restart. I restart my computer and I get this. My computer doesnt POST at all. It states at the top...

----------------------------------

Award Medallion BIOS c6.00pg Copyright Bla Bla

Copy right Hewlett packard Rev. 3.00 05/13/02

Main Processor : Atj;pm(tm) CP 2000+

(lot of black space, and then at the bottom)

Press F1 to enter SETUP 05/13/02-nVidia-CRUSH1-6A61AM49C

Pressing F1 does nothing. The computer just sits here, COmpletely frozen. It doesnt even get as far as bitching because no keyboard is attatched.

I detached the power from the wall, let it sit without power for 2 hours, turn it back on, and it works.

Works awesome...until i restart it again. Now, I try my method above again...doesnt work this time. So I unplug it for 8 hours, then try again, still doesnt work, just freezes on the page i typed out above. Thats where I am now. Its just been sitting here. I have tried powering up and then powering down a dozen times with no results. Anyone have any ideas.

Thankyou.[code 12]". So my video card doesnt work at all. I called up HP tech support and they gave me drivers for the controllers that were still uninstalled, apparently they were causing the problems.

The first time I restarted my computer after that, things went great. Then I installed some software that required a restart. I restart my computer and I get this. My computer doesnt POST at all. It states at the top...

Award Medallion BIOS c6.00pg
Copyright Bla Bla

Copy right Hewlett packard
Rev. 3.00 05/13/02

Main Processor : Atj;pm(tm) CP 2000+

(lot of black space, and then at the bottom)

Press F1 to enter SETUP
05/13/02-nVidia-CRUSH1-6A61AM49C

Pressing F1 does nothing. The computer just sits here, COmpletely frozen. It doesnt even get as far as bitching because no keyboard is attatched.

I detached the power from the wall, let it sit without power for 2 hours, turn it back on, and it works.

Works awesome...until i restart it again. Now, I try my method above again...doesnt work this time. So I unplug it for 8 hours, then try again, still doesnt work, just freezes on the page i typed out above. Thats where I am now. Its just been sitting here. I have tried powering up and then powering down a dozen times with no results.
Anyone have any ideas.

Thankyou.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I just had my computer unplugged for the last 3 hours. I plugged it back in, started it up, and its working great. My video drivers are all worked out. Everythings going good. What in the hell is wrong with my computer. What needs to be fixed?

Just out of interest, what happens if you unplug everything from the computer, then connect the mains after you've had one of these lockouts? Does it start then? You never know, it might be something you have plugged in causing the trouble - best to be sure.

My money would be on either motherboard or PSU being at fault.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.