when i go start>all programs>pc tools and click on it, i get three programs that i have checked out, but will never use. they are swapdrive, intermute, and netsmartz. i have decided that i would delete them if i could find them, which i can't. i have looked in the add/remove programs and components, program files, common files, and temp files.
when i had win98 there was a useful find feature to locate programs and files. what is the proper procedure one would follow in locating programs and files in xp? is there a find feature in xp? thanks, Ed James

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The program listings under your Start menu are usually just shortcuts to the actual programs; you can find the target program through the shortcut's Properties:

* Right-click on the Start menu shortcut.
* Choose Properties from the resulting drop-down context menu.
* Click on the "Shortcut" tab in the Properties window.
* Click on the "Find Target" button.

For general finding/searching, Windows Explorer has a Search feature- just double-click on your My Computer icon and then click the Search button at the top of the Explorer window.

the search feature in ie replied pctools and backup, which i already knew, and where i could find it on the internet, which i was not looking for. but i must admit that it's a useful feature that i have forgotten about and to be reminded about it was good.
start>properties was as far as i could get with your instructions. there was no shortcut tab that existed in that window. only start menu and taskbar. thanks for the reply, Ed James

the search feature in ie

I didn't say Internet Explorer, I said Windows Explorer. In the search function of Windows Explorer you specify the filename (or partial filename) of the particular file you're searching for in the "All or part of filename" box; Windows will show you where on your hard drive all instances of that name occur.

start>properties was as far as i could get with your instructions. there was no shortcut tab that existed in that window. only start menu and taskbar.

I should have been more clear about step #1: Right-click on the name of the program in question where it appears in under the Programs/All Programs folder in your Start menu. In your case, I'm referring to any of the three programs listed in the start>all programs>pc tools Start menu folder.

when i go start>all programs>pc tools and click on it, i get three programs that i have checked out, but will never use. they are swapdrive, intermute, and netsmartz.

sounds to me they are more likely features of the pc-tools program,and not programs in themself,therefor not much chancs you will be able to delete them .me thinks !!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.