Hi, my cousin is having some problems with his computer. Basicly things are not working for 1 reason which i dont know what it is.

He cant log into MSN 80072efd Key Ports , Adware wont Update its definitions, Limewire wont boot up (because of loopback connection ro firewall) & he cant sign into hotmail on internet explorer.

I looked around to see if he had a firewall but i didn't find anything. so i figured the problem is somewhere in the network connections.

The Following are in the network connections Menu...

BroadBand
Sympatico
disconnected
WAN MINIPORT(PPPOE)

Internet gateway
Connected
Internet Connection

Lan or High-Speed Internet
Local Area Connection 2
Connected
Linksys NC 100 Fast Ethernet...

i right clicked and clicked on the details on the "Lan or High-Speed Internet" and found the following: IP Address :192.168.2.10 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Assigned by DHCP

His Modem Model is SpeedStream 4200 using Ethernet.

I also found a program in his computer called VNC (dont really know what that does)

any help would be gladly apreciated. Thank you

any help would be apreciated thanks
if theres anymore information that needs 2 be included please post and let me know

Hi, my cousin is having some problems with his computer. Basicly things are not working for 1 reason which i dont know what it is.

He cant log into MSN 80072efd Key Ports , Adware wont Update its definitions, Limewire wont boot up (because of loopback connection ro firewall) & he cant sign into hotmail on internet explorer.

I looked around to see if he had a firewall but i didn't find anything. so i figured the problem is somewhere in the network connections.

I also found a program in his computer called VNC (dont really know what that does)

any help would be gladly apreciated. Thank you

It may not be one thing causing his problems. Here is what I do know.

VNC in general is Virtual Network Computing, and a company called RealVNC has written a program to enable this, and claims on their site to have invented it; this may be the program VNC. Its basically just remote access to a computer. Anyways, this doesnt seem to be the source of the problem.

You said he cant log in to Hotmail, this seems to suggest he can still use the internet otherwise. So therefore I would say that if this is true, and he is having problems with programs that open ports (ie - Limewire and Adware updater) then first of all, he is maybe having a port problem. If he is using Windows XP, then the built-in XP firewall may have a hand in this.

Try disabling the firewall, directions at the below url:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283673

If this solves some of his problems, then you can reenable it and create some exception for the firewall to allow his updater and Limewire to work (I'm not sure if I had to do this, but I made an exception for another filesharing prog called BitComet awhile back)

BroadBand
Sympatico
disconnected
WAN MINIPORT(PPPOE)

this seems to be an odd status, but also appears to be irrelevant due to the fact that his internet connection is working. I dont even know what Sympatico is, aside from an MSN domain, but I rule it out as a contributing cause. I am thinking out loud largely here, so forgive the wordiness..

i right clicked and clicked on the details on the "Lan or High-Speed Internet" and found the following: IP Address :192.168.2.10 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Assigned by DHCP

Does his ISP require him to specify an IP and subnet mask? I have found it rare to need to do this. There is a setting under Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Internet Protocol > General tab, that allows you to specify the way the IP, DNS, and subnet mask are found. Try setting it to obtain both the IP address and DNS server address automatically so that the other fields are grayed out.

Hi dmGuitar. thank you for your time

Unfortunatly, Windows firewall is not the problem. i've tryed disabling it b4 and nothing changes. Also, his ip is already on obtain automaticly.

Any other efforts would gladly be apreciated. thank you

help? anyone?

Hey! I'm having these problems too. With MSN and Limewire, I also have another problem with shutting down the computer. An Error comes up saying
NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM has to shut down the computer ... 0:00:25 seconds to shut down. But my computer never shuts down. I have to switch the computer off at the mains, which is getting worrying because I've had previous problems with clusters. When I got into Run and try to open CMD, the screen flashes on then off. I've tried this a number of times and nothing's happening. I scheduled a Disk check when I booted my computer next time but it just ignored it. Although I can't sign into WindowsLive Messenger, the default messenger on Windows is fine. I've researched the NT Authority/System, error & all I found was forums saying it was a Worm, but I searched my computer with Blaster Worm and it said I didn't have one. I've tried everything ^above^ and nothing is still working.
Could anyone help us please (: ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.