Hi,
I want to know the best solution for the following problem.
I have free internet access included in my rent but I also have file server (synology DS06) with ethernet access (connected to my router) and a wireless HP printer/scanner (PSC 2710) also connected to my own router.
Problem now is that I have to switch wireless network when I want to access my files or print something. This works but is a bit annoying.....

Microsoft's VirtualWiFi could not solve the problem since my landlady is using WEP.

I see a couple of oportunities:
1) Create a keyboard shortcut for switching network. (Is this possible?)
2) Buy a bridge device and connect it to my 3com wireless router. (Would this work and in that case can someone recommend a god piece of hardware?)
3) Find another program similar to VirtualWiFi that can handle WEP. (Does it exist?)
4) Buy another WiFi card for all my laptops and have them connect to different networks. (Would that work?)
5) Connect the wireless printer to the landlady's network. (I guess this means that anyone can access it so I am not the found of this solution)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

First a question - how do you link your router to your landlady's router ? Method should not matter, for the following suggestion.

I believe you should be able to set up your PC's and printer with a different range of ip numbers to your landlady's.

Then set up your upload port of your router so it has an ip number in your landlady's ip range. Then your router acts as gateway to Internet, just as your landlady's acts as gateway to the internet for her.

The internet then should not be able to see your equipment.

Denis

Hi,
I want to know the best solution for the following problem.
I have free internet access included in my rent but I also have file server (synology DS06) with ethernet access (connected to my router) and a wireless HP printer/scanner (PSC 2710) also connected to my own router.
Problem now is that I have to switch wireless network when I want to access my files or print something. This works but is a bit annoying.....

Microsoft's VirtualWiFi could not solve the problem since my landlady is using WEP.

I see a couple of oportunities:
1) Create a keyboard shortcut for switching network. (Is this possible?)
2) Buy a bridge device and connect it to my 3com wireless router. (Would this work and in that case can someone recommend a god piece of hardware?)
3) Find another program similar to VirtualWiFi that can handle WEP. (Does it exist?)
4) Buy another WiFi card for all my laptops and have them connect to different networks. (Would that work?)
5) Connect the wireless printer to the landlady's network. (I guess this means that anyone can access it so I am not the found of this solution)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Thanks!

Lets see if i get this right, you have free wireless access through your landlady Router? Correct????
you ALSO have your own wireless access for your servers? is this correct???

Hi,
Thank you for the answers. You are right Bobbyraw, I have my own wireless network as well.
(Reason is that I used to have my own ADSL so then everything was fine)

DenisOxon: Would your suggestion work it I need my wireless router to access my landlady's internet wirelessly?

Thanks

Hi,

DenisOxon: Would your suggestion work it I need my wireless router to access my landlady's internet wirelessly?

Thanks

It should do but may depend on which router you are using. Which one are you using ?

Denis

try disabling DHCP on your router, using it as an access point, this way you have access through her router foa all service, However, you might experience down time and drop connection for your server.

You need a Broadband Multiplexer. They can be found HERE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.