Ok I went to RadioShack today, looking for an internal wireless card, but they did not have any internal wireless cards, so I ended up getting a Netgear Wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter. It is 54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz, and 802.11g. But it seems kind of slow and it shows my network signal strength as 90%. When I am downloading games on Steam they only download at 30-60 KB/S, and on my laptop they will download at 100-1000 KB/s. I do not use the Netgear wireless usb adapter on my laptop, is use an internal wirelesscard that came built into it. Is that because my network has WEP? I am using a 2WIRE router, is there any way I can boost my signal or make it faster?

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by LaptopNomad

Have you tried Speedtest.net?

I don't think the security type would be a big influence on speed.

What speed is your router?

I think laptops may get a better reception because the aerial is bigger (usually in the laptop lid) - I could be wrong.

You could tried positioning the adapter in a different place. If I put my adapter near my PC I get a poor bit rate but next to my extension cord I get a much better bit rate and signal.

When you look at your wireless connection have a look at the bit rate as well as the signal strength. Its better to have a medium signal strength and high bit rate then an excellent signal but poor bit rate.

In my experience placement of the wireless WIFI antenna / adapter is crucial for a speedy connection. A tool like NetStumbler turns signal strength into an audio tone. The higher the better - great for finding a good spot.

Secondly, another WIFI router in the area on the same channel with a lot of wireless traffic can dramatically reduce overall performance. Try switching channels or place your router as far as possible from the other one.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.