Hi there all you nice people,
Sorry to be a parasite but I need a one-time help.
I am not a network-guru though I have no problems with creating and maintaining a small LAN/WAN at my home.
I am, however an electronics engineer and so I do understand some tech-talk.
There are certain things I know how to do but I'm aware I do not understand a LOT more!
The above was just to tell you that I know where the ENTER key is, can read instructions, know basics of network settings, etc.
OK, here's the problem that I would like to solve, to know how to setup and use a configuration:
A possible situation:
- I book into a hotel, say in France, and want to have wireless access to Internet via the hotel's hot-spot (additionally paid or free) or some other, free hot-spot.
- I have with me a laptop with on-board WiFi module but I think it may be too "weak" in the hotel's environment.
- I also have with me a small USB WiFi "card" that I tested at home and was able to access Internet via a number of unsecured (!) wireless networks existing in my neighbouthood. But this "card" may prove to be also too "weak", and that is why...
- I also have with me a Linksys WRT54GL router into which I flashed the DD-WRT v.23 firmware. I assume that this router is the best choice to access The Net in the above situation.
So, my question is how (if at all) to configure these 3 items I have:
- Ethernet cable
- Router (with a high-gain antenna that I made in 3 hours - better then many commercial products, small and only 300 grams:icon_biggrin: )
I have already learned that such configuration is possible and it is called "Client" or "Client bridge" and my router + DD-WRT has such capacity but the advices I found so far include configuring the other router, the one in the hot-spot I would like to connect to - and this (I assume) I cannot do.
If this configuration is possible, set and running, is it also possible to wirelessly share this Internet access with 2 or 3 of my friends staying in the same hotel?
If you had the patience and are still with me, please see the diagram I made and please advise.