hi everyone,

I have Windows Vista (32-bit) Home premium. Connecting to the Internet had never been a problem - until this morning.

My laptop still connects to the internet - it says so in the Network and Settings. However, no browser is able to display any pages - be it IE or Firefox or Opera. Even other programs that use the internet like RealPlayer and SongBird can not display any pages.

I ping-ed google and I am getting a reply. So, it passed the ping test. Are ALL my brosers misconfigured?

I do not use a proxy and proxy settings in LAN are turned off.

This morning, I had just removed 2 start-up program and that too, Microsoft Groove Utility and Microsoft Media Center. That's the only change I made in my laptop. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the above problem.

Please help me as soon as possible. Hoping for a prompt reply!

Take care..
SG

try resetting the winsock and tcpip

open cmd with admin privileges and run the following commands

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset tcpip.log

im a computer tech at a retail store and this has fixed some of the computers that come in here, but there are some that still will not let you browse the internet. let me know if it works for you or if you find any other solutions that might help me too.

Can you access https sites? Or can't you get to anything at all?

https sites working

I have the same problem - all my browsers are not working (IE, firefox and google chrome ). But my other softwares like Anti-virus and HP updates can acccess the Internet.

I am only able to post this reply using the browser embedded in Real player.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been only able to use google chrome but today all the browsers went down. Real player was my last resort.

Any help out there ?

try resetting the winsock and tcpip

open cmd with admin privileges and run the following commands

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset tcpip.log

im a computer tech at a retail store and this has fixed some of the computers that come in here, but there are some that still will not let you browse the internet. let me know if it works for you or if you find any other solutions that might help me too.

This is an addition to the message from lftrejo. I have been trying to fix a Dell Latitude C840 (Windows XP, SP3 and Netgear wireless card) that had Norton 360 installed on it. I uninstalled Norton, made sure that the Symantic Updater was also removed and then opened "cmd" with admin privileges and ran the following commands

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

I then rebooted the computer and the browser (IE8) began working.

All the replies are good but they all missed the obvious. If you can ping a website but not browse to them, this is a DNS problem that is usually a server issue with your ISP. If you messed with your IP settings then you might have changed your DNS server IP addresses. You need to reset them back to obtain IP address automatically. Hope this helps

Besides the OP having posted two years ago, the OP said that he (or she) pinged Google. This would imply that DNS is resolving the name since pinging Google's IP address specifically wasn't mentioned. So none are really missing the obvious I'd say. Besides, the TCP/IP stack does get screwed up from time to time, albeit not very often and DNS misconfigurations are probably more likely, but not in this case.

BTW, found this post while I was trying to remember the netsh command to reset winsock and IP for the very problem that the OP mentioned. Teh two netsh commands above fixed my issue. Thanks to tyger1st and lftrejo.

Excellent solution and thanks lot to tyger1st and lftrejo.

Its working fine.

Senthil

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.