I am running Windows XP on a COMPAQ Presario SR1135CL. My ISP is Verizon, and the modem Verizon provided is a Westell VersaLink Model 327W. The PC and modem have been in use for approximately 4 years and until lately trouble-free. Several months ago I began experiencing problems connecting to the Internet. These problems were initially only occasional and mildly annoying but over time became much worse. The COMPAQ PC Help & Support Tool error log noted a COM+ Event error. I followed some instructions I obtained off the Internet for correcting the problem. These involved removing clbcatq.dll and reinstalling COM+. They did not correct the problem and in fact resulted in additional problems. Attempting to use any feature of PC Help & Support elicited a CLASS NOT REGISTERED statement. Attempting to reinstall the DSL software elicited a flash.ocx error message. I attempted a system restore to a recent restore point date; System Restore refused to execute. I was finally able to restore the system to a date in early May--Microsoft Word failed. I did an Undo System Restore and was notified by Windows SP/3 firewall that my network connections were corrupt and it was necessary to restore the default settings to fix the problem. I did that and re-loaded all the exceptions--the network corruption was not fixed. Now the PC audio is gone. My anti-spyware tool (XoftSpySE) reports only Low Risk "spyware" (just cookies mostly) and appears to remove them. My anti-virus tool (Norton corporate 10.1.6.6000) reports no viruses. My system registry tools (Ultra Win Cleaner, System Mechanic, RegCure, and RegistryEasy) all claim to clean and repair the system registry but have had no effect on the problem. I exectued two socket fixing tools--no effect. I took my system down and brought the PC to work where the local IT gurus hooked it up to the local network and accessed I/E with no problem. I put the system back up at home and as far as Internet access it was as useful as a cinder block. Night before last I booted up just for the hell of it, and was instantly connected to the Internet. My MSN connection lasted for a few tens of minutes and then died. My AOL connection lasted for a couple of hours and then died. Last night the system was back in a cinder block mode. The COMPAQ diagnostics say the hardware and memory are fine but flagged the modem for a dial tone error. (This happened just before I successfully logged on to AOL, MSN and Verizon Online Support night before last; besides, I don't have a dial-up connection.) I tried AOL and Verizon customer service. The only thing their tech support people know is that if you turn the PC and modem off and on, sometimes a problem will go away. True enough--but in this case it looks as if something a little more drastic may be required.