Hey guys,

I live in a shared house with a small network of 4 different systems: 2 PCs, 1 Laptop and an XBOX 360 (which is sometimes swapped out for another laptop), all connected via ethernet cables to a Linksys BEFSR41 router, which is in turn connected to a cable modem for internet access.

A while back I was moaning to a friend about how our internet connection slows when others in the house are using P2P programs and taking up a large volume of the potential bandwidth. He told me about QOS (Quality of Service?) which would allow me to assign bandwidth equally among all the connected systems as opposed to a first come first served basis - i.e. whoever gets on first gets as much as they need, and everyone else gets whats left.

Can you tell me if this is the case?

I've had a good trawl through google for QOS setup guides with little to no luck, esp for small/simple home networks. Does anyone know where I could find some kinda guide to do this or even how I could do it myself?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thannks
James

PS If you need to know what system Im running please ask n I'll list it.
cheers

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

very tasty, lookin on ebay now.....

Please let us know how it works

Have you checked to see if third party Firmware is supported like Tomato or DD-WRT if so they have QoS Built in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.