Hi There,I am such a Novice it has taken me almost an Hour to find how to Post a New Thread.I want to connect 2 pcs to the Internet.
I dont understand most of the Technical Jargon.As Simple as Poss.Please.I have 1 Pc Connected Through Linksys Router:BEFSR41.
4 Ethernet Ports.I have also an Internet Phone on Port No.2.That leaves 2 Free Ports.Virgin Internet Broadband Modem.I have seen something about reconfiguring the router-far too technical for me.
Is there any other way to connect the Second PC?It took me ages to get the Internet Phone Working and I Fear that if I start Interfering with the Router I may lose the Phone.Pc 1:XP.Pc2 98.I really want to know if I can connect the Second PC Independently of the Router.I did try and connect Pc 2 to Router-Page Unavailable.I hope that I have given enough Info.Thank you in Advance-Any help would be Much Appreciated.Cph.(Irish).???
Wired Connections-Both in the Same Room.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

What is the type of internet connection?
What is the model of the modem (is it a modem/router with more than one port)?
What will you be using to connect the pc?

What form of internet connection do you have? If it is DSL and your internet modem has 2 connections then you can plug the 2nd pc into it but you will need to get a 2nd IP address from your ISP. If you use the router then you should let the router handle LAN addressing so set the pc to DHCP.

What is the type of internet connection?
What is the model of the modem (is it a modem/router with more than one port)?
What will you be using to connect the pc?

What form of internet connection do you have? If it is DSL and your internet modem has 2 connections then you can plug the 2nd pc into it but you will need to get a 2nd IP address from your ISP. If you use the router then you should let the router handle LAN addressing so set the pc to DHCP.

Internet Conn. is DSL-Single Port Modem -Ethernet-Model No:E08C013.00 I wish to Connect with Ethernet-My other Pc is Ethernet Connected-As I asked Previously can I Connect without using The Router.I am A Learner so Please Bear with me.Thank You CPH.

CPH, to handle this yourself, you are probably going to have to go into the router's command page...it's not that hard to do, so:

Question: Did you set up the router and if not, who did?

You should be able to connect the second PC into a port in the router and it should work. On the router, which port is your ethernet cable from the modem connected to? If it says internet or WAN then that's correct and the other 4 ports are equal...ie. it doesn't matter which one you plug what into.

If you want to look at the router, bring up your browser and enter http//192.168.1.1

That's the default address of any router...unless someone has changed it, you will then be asked for a user/password. The default is admin/admin.

Have a look, just don't update anything unless you're sure. You can see the IP addresses of anything assigned a dhcp address (for example) under the Status page/Local Network/DHCP Clients Table

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.