What are the disadvantages of going with a wireless 802.11n router over a 802.11g ?

I'm am going to purchase a router to set up a basic 2 computer network, but I want to make sure i buy the right type.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

802.11n is backward compatible with 802.11g so if you are going to buy one and the added cost of the 802.11n is not an issue, I would purchase it. I recently had to replace my 802.11g router and did it with a 802.11n even though I do not have an machine that has an N card. Everything works great and I can upgrade to N cards later.

N card meaning what?

802.11n is better, however it is still in development. Most "n" routers are in "draft" stage at this point. I purchased an "n" router as an upgrade to my "g"router and the performance increase is incredible. I also use several UMA mobile phones on my "n" network as well as heavy video streamline. All this the same time and it works great. That's because of the MIMO technology of the "n" routers. Multiple in Multiple out allows for more stable simultaneous connections the more antennas the modem has. I recommend "n" routers to anyone even if their devices do not yet support it.

N card meaning what?

The wireless cards in your laptop or desktop.

Well i don't have an N wireless card in my laptop or Desktop, so I should go with the regular g/b routers, right?

Well i don't have an N wireless card in my laptop or Desktop, so I should go with the regular g/b routers, right?

No the N router is compatible with a b/g card and if you wanted to upgrade your card later you would already have the router.

ohhhh... I see. That makes sense! Then N router it is.. any suggestions? I'm not trying to spend alot of money on it.

Linksys makes the best consumer products in my opinion. I have been an IT admin for several years and have worked with most brands. Try the model at this link, it is a solid performer. Linksys WRT160n

I'm going to order this Router or this one. They are both from Wal-mart.

When purchasing a router, do I need to get any accessories?

I'm going to order this Router or this one. They are both from Wal-mart.

When purchasing a router, do I need to get any accessories?

I would not recommend a belkin. They have a bad habit of dying. I would recommend a linksys or netgear. No you don't need any accessories.

And are n cards compatible with g and b routers?

i dont think N works with B, but definately with G

i reccomend linksys. Ive got a WRT54G

Yes the cards are compatible with B and G routers, though you will only get the slower through put of the router.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.