Hi geeks,
I want to connect 3 systems which r in different home.In one home we have internet connection with 8port dlink router. I have five numbers of cat5e crimped cable with 30m. Can anyone help me in sharing t broadband connection and to transfer t files within our 3 systems without using any switch,hub or router inbetween. But i want to use device which are cheaper than switches,router and hub. Please suggest me t device which can be used to establish basic lan. Some of them told me to use ethernet splitter but most of them told it cant establish connection simultaneously. Plz some one suggest me t device to create lan.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

how can you find something cheaper than a $12 hub? And you already have a router...why not use that?

You can connect the computers via ethernet CROSSOVER cable...that makes a network...but I don't believe it will work with 3...

Your post is a bit difficult to understand - if I can make sense of what you said, you have 3 computers in different parts of a single house and you want to connect them, right? If that is the case, I don't see why you wouldn't want to use some kind of router to manage your connection for you, even if networking those without one could be done. I'm thinking that you HAVE to have some kind of router, hub, etc. You need some way to manage IP addresses (assign them, renew them, etc) between your 3 machines. You can't just "split" a cat5 cable and share an Ethernet connection like you would coax cable for TV...

Your post is a bit difficult to understand - if I can make sense of what you said, you have 3 computers in different parts of a single house and you want to connect them, right? If that is the case, I don't see why you wouldn't want to use some kind of router to manage your connection for you, even if networking those without one could be done. I'm thinking that you HAVE to have some kind of router, hub, etc. You need some way to manage IP addresses (assign them, renew them, etc) between your 3 machines. You can't just "split" a cat5 cable and share an Ethernet connection like you would coax cable for TV...

I thougt that i can split t cat5 cable in to y type connection ie is one input and two output by using splitter. Thanks for clearing my doubt.

I don't think you can really do that. You say you already have an 8 port router? Use that sir. Anything else, even if it could be done (which I highly doubt), is just asking for a headache like you've never had. It's like saying "I have a house in California, New York, and Florida. I want to send mail from each house to each other house by walking it there. I don't want to use the mail service."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.