I have a Linksys wrt54GX2 (srx200 wireless router) (I have the cd)
can you use this to DETECT outside wireless connections?

This router has just been sitting here in my hardware pile- -doing nothing. Been wondering if I can put it to good use improving my connection to the local (free wireless inet) network connection that is shared in my apartment building.

I've always used a router/switch to just DISTRIBUTE or share out, a wireless or internet connection. As most homes do.

I was just wondering if you can also use this router TO DETECT a general (unsecured) internet connection.

I would think so, but I've only begun to search for info (on the web) about this. So far I haven't found much / anything that was terribly relevant. Mostly stuff about wardialing with mobile hardware. That's not my intent. I just was wondering if I can use it to better receive a weak signal, right here. (since I don't have access to the router and cannot change it's output or physical location).

Also, if someone has a favorite or known software or utility programs that function well with this router in alternative uses of network activity/security/detection/analysis. I appreciate any suggestions

just go ahead and comment upon the possibilities.
With Many thanks

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by stvrich

Another (related) topic may be, if there is any way to tweak basic settings for a Wireless NIC that would improve reception in fringe or border regions of a router. My nic is also a Linksys: WMP54G .
I've got a laptop with another Linksys pci card I want to setup and fire up to test if my NIC in the pc is just bad/broken antenna or something. b/c I USED to get an excellent signal here.

Another (related) topic may be, if there is any way to tweak basic settings for a Wireless NIC that would improve reception in fringe or border regions of a router. My nic is also a Linksys: WMP54G .
I've got a laptop with another Linksys pci card I want to setup and fire up to test if my NIC in the pc is just bad/broken antenna or something. b/c I USED to get an excellent signal here.

Evening,

With regards to the former, I'm not sure of that exact model but only a few routers will do what you're asking. As mostly they're designed to send data and provide an AP not connect to one.

Belkin do a number of products in a reasonable price range that may do it, something like a Belkin Gaming Adaptor with a higher gain aerial attached.

Onto the latter issue, a standard 54G wireless card isn't ideal for what you're using it with. A MIMO or even N card would be far superior, even though it's probably only a G router the better adaptor would still boost your receiving power somewhat.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Dazza :cool:

Thank you, I was hoping that someone knew of a way to turn it into a poor mans repeater. I guess that is what I was aiming at. A "bridge" or "repeating" function. And a "hack" that'd turn a common router into one. ......... If it's just not (ever) suited then, No. Or, if it's beyond my skill... then, No.

An "n" card eh? Thanx Darren. I'll get one. STILL curious if there is a way to "hack" that router tho'. I know that SOME of Linksys's routers ARE the topics of software upgrades that the manufacturer didn't exactly specify.

I did some experimenting. I re-setup my old laptop with IT's network card. A Linksys WPC54GS removable pci. And it was able to hook up perfectly well. Usually 54-36 MBps with a good/strong signal. So it's either the network card in my main machine, or the machines physical location, etc. I STILL would be curious and interested in finding a way to use a router like mine to DETECT networks. IF it were possible. Thank You.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.