"Every time we raise the bar, you-know-who stoops to a new level." - Novell

- Novell is a powerfull network operating system.
Response: Its not out dated. In fact, Microsoft stole the .NET idea from Novell (Novells ONE Net Strategy)!

- Novell requires a bulky client for conectivity
Response: Nope! Novell NetWare has a thin client system, titled the Native Client Access Pack. It allows operating systems to connect and utilize Novell Servers in an operating system's native networking protocol. (On linux, the novell looks like SMB, on a mac it looks like appleshares, and on windows it looks like a winnt domain).

- Its hard to set up a Novell Server
Response: NO WAY!!! GUI Installation, web interface configuration tools (iMonitor, iPrint, iManage, etc) are core parts of the Novell experiance, getting you up and running in less then an hour!

Novell NetWare 6 - Featuring the Network Service they'll continue to lie about! http://www.whytheylie.com for more information!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Nice resouce, but I'd have more faith in it if it was someone other than Novell itself that provided it. It reminds of the positive statistics private companies and groups make about Microsoft (how good their software is, reliable, etc.) You think that because on the outside they're not related to Microsoft.... but who funds it... yes... Microsoft funds the research gone in the statistics. :D

No matter what the review is or comment is, it will always be biased. Why? Because we're human.

Nice resouce, but I'd have more faith in it if it was someone other than Novell itself that provided it. It reminds of the positive statistics private companies and groups make about Microsoft (how good their software is, reliable, etc.) You think that because on the outside they're not related to Microsoft.... but who funds it... yes... Microsoft funds the research gone in the statistics. :D

No matter what the review is or comment is, it will always be biased. Why? Because we're human.

Ahh yes... all those statistics that windows is cheaper in the long run than linux, courtesy of m$ $$$

That's why take everything you read with a grain of salt, even if it's from someone you favor.

Wait a minute I dont understand why we all love linux so much because it is free. Windows is free as well the only people who pay for it is businesses not us. Say your the Network Admin for a company your not buying 400 Licenses for Novell your not paying a penny same with at home you download it. So why complain any more right hmmmm makes sense yes?

Well, it's assumed that we are talking about a network in the business place. Linux is cheaper hands down as far as price. Also it's very reliable. The only charges that a company would have to pay are in training the staff, consulting, as troubleshooting because it's not as intuitive as Windows (this would be the case for Windows too, but not as much as Linux).

Windows is free as well the only people who pay for it is businesses not us.

Excuse me!?

Unless you're pirating M$ software you ARE paying for it.

Or did M$ put their windoze up for free download when I wasn't looking?

can some one tell me the difference between microsoft and citrix thin clients

Netware used to be excellent. But it isn't popular anymore, and even Novell abandoned it at 6.5 for SuSE.

can some one tell me the difference between microsoft and citrix thin clients

thin client is a very basic hardware that can connect over a network to a citrix server, which will provide the computational abilities (i.e. desktop, services, programs)

Wait a minute I dont understand why we all love linux so much because it is free. Windows is free as well the only people who pay for it is businesses not us. Say your the Network Admin for a company your not buying 400 Licenses for Novell your not paying a penny same with at home you download it. So why complain any more right hmmmm makes sense yes?

How could you say "Windows IS free" when you need to purchase the boxed edition of XP Home or XP Pro? Plus you cannot have unlimited networking with Windows Server 2003 without purchasing related client access licenses (CALs) ?

Even if we need to purchase Linux for enterprise deployment (because of the support), Linux beats Windows in terms of price hands down. We don't need to purchase other so-called "licenses" just to do networking. You'd be crazy to fall for the M$ licensing BS.

Yes, I _know_ M$ licensing because I've trained for it too.

Linux, free in the business place? doubtful.
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/
try telling your customers that you have a secure environment, you just don't pay for updates and support. They will think you are some kid in his bedroom. To do it properly costs $$$. It all starts to add up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.