hi all,

I am looking at setting up a small home network comprising of 3 desktop PCs and a laptop PC. I am confused as to what i am going to need in order to get this network up and running properly. I have a 4 port cable/dsl gateway router already but i want all the PCs to share the same internet connection. i believe that in order to be able to do this successfully i am going to need a modem router and possibly an ethernet modem. the one i have at the moment is a usb adsl modem. please tell me what i will need and how to set up my small network.

thanks
jan;)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

hi all,

I am looking at setting up a small home network comprising of 3 desktop PCs and a laptop PC. I am confused as to what i am going to need in order to get this network up and running properly. I have a 4 port cable/dsl gateway router already but i want all the PCs to share the same internet connection. i believe that in order to be able to do this successfully i am going to need a modem router and possibly an ethernet modem. the one i have at the moment is a usb adsl modem. please tell me what i will need and how to set up my small network.

thanks
jan;)

The 4 ports on the back of your cable/dsl router are switch ports, which means that they will all share the same connection to the internet. If the router is talking to the internet everything else will as well.

Because you are currently using a USB adsl modem you will need to replace that with and ethernet adsl modem. The ethernet port on the new ethernet modem will connect to the WAN port on the 4 port gateway router. All of your computers will connect to the ethernet ports on the gateway router. As long as your PC's are set to use DHCP and your gateway router is a DHCP server (most are) then you are done.

Hello,

My home network is a cable modem attached via ethernet to my linux server. The linux server has a second NIC card that goes to switch that gets distributed to the other linux computers and my couple Macs at home.

If you would like to see a diagram of my network, send me an email.

I do it this way so that I can host private web pages, manage my email, remote control things, and firewall.

I would trade up the USB device to an ethernet device to allow for future expansion if you ever wanted to get away from Windoze.

Christian

The 4 ports on the back of your cable/dsl router are switch ports, which means that they will all share the same connection to the internet. If the router is talking to the internet everything else will as well.

Because you are currently using a USB adsl modem you will need to replace that with and ethernet adsl modem. The ethernet port on the new ethernet modem will connect to the WAN port on the 4 port gateway router. All of your computers will connect to the ethernet ports on the gateway router. As long as your PC's are set to use DHCP and your gateway router is a DHCP server (most are) then you are done.

thanks. do you know of anywhere either in the uk mainland or online where i might be able to buy one.

also how do i ensure that the pc's and the router are set to DHCP, and how can i ensure it'll work with my ISP which is virgin.net

cheers:D

thanks. do you know of anywhere either in the uk mainland or online where i might be able to buy one.

also how do i ensure that the pc's and the router are set to DHCP, and how can i ensure it'll work with my ISP which is virgin.net

cheers:D

Ebay

Cheers

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0692584711.1118099009@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddeldmldfjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&category_oid=-9980&product0=587353&product1=952367&page=Comparison&number=2&search=match&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

Sry bout the long link.

Get one of these packages, I have one, its very sexy, and you can have four wired PCs and extra wireless PCs like your laptop, (if it has wireless G / B, or you want to get a card).

Also good if the PCs arn't in te same room, as you can get a wireless adapter, save cables around the house.

Note if you do get one, it comes with one RJ45 Cat5e network cable, you will need an extra one for each wired PC. Also me thinks you have BT Broadband?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0692584711.1118099009@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedaddeldmldfjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&category_oid=-9980&product0=587353&product1=952367&page=Comparison&number=2&search=match&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

Sry bout the long link.

Get one of these packages, I have one, its very sexy, and you can have four wired PCs and extra wireless PCs like your laptop, (if it has wireless G / B, or you want to get a card).

Also good if the PCs arn't in te same room, as you can get a wireless adapter, save cables around the house.

Note if you do get one, it comes with one RJ45 Cat5e network cable, you will need an extra one for each wired PC. Also me thinks you have BT Broadband?

thanks for the 'long' link. i dont have time right now to look at it but i'll look tonight. you're wrong about the ISP though - i have virgin.net broadband:)

Cool, I'll check the thread over the weekend in case you have any queries, but its much the same as most Wireless Router / ADSL Modems, whichever you may choose to get (if you decide to do so) they are great as a one box solution to a Broadband Heaven around the home.

Cool, I'll check the thread over the weekend in case you have any queries, but its much the same as most Wireless Router / ADSL Modems, whichever you may choose to get (if you decide to do so) they are great as a one box solution to a Broadband Heaven around the home.

hmmm. So whatever modem i go for it should work with my service provider. How can i check it will work though cos i dont want to buysomething and then find it wont work with my isp. I suppose what i could do is get an ethernet modem (looking at a wired network for now) and plug it directly into the back of my pc before making any rash decisions and go from there. i already have a Belkin 4 port cable/DSL gateway router. that will do me fine for now.

guess i should really also make a point of asking my isp for their assistance. will do that on my day off (tuesday):D

Probably a good idea to search for router config on your ISP Home page, or your virgin.net home page if you have one.

I found all the required details on my BT Yahoo home page. You may be able to find a list of compatible devices, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems, I can send you the list of required info for this device in the future if you want to consider it.

That said, your wired device should be fine, and the only reason i bought a wireless device was to allow me to use my laptop anywhere in the home, but other than that it has no peformance advantages.

Probably a good idea to search for router config on your ISP Home page, or your virgin.net home page if you have one.

I found all the required details on my BT Yahoo home page. You may be able to find a list of compatible devices, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any problems, I can send you the list of required info for this device in the future if you want to consider it.

That said, your wired device should be fine, and the only reason i bought a wireless device was to allow me to use my laptop anywhere in the home, but other than that it has no peformance advantages.

i asked customer services themselves via email and they have come back to me saying that they only support the thompson speedtouch modem that i have at the moment. fortunately they also sent me the configuration details for adsl in the united kingdom.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.