I want to hook up another desktop using a broadband wireless router...how exactly do I do that? Do I need anything other than the broadband wireless router to hook up another desktop? Do I have to download something to both comps? My comp uses cable (ethernet) hookup. Would the broadband be hooked up to the cable modem or to the desktop? Can you help?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I want to hook up another desktop using a broadband wireless router...how exactly do I do that? Do I need anything other than the broadband wireless router to hook up another desktop? Do I have to download something to both comps? My comp uses cable (ethernet) hookup. Would the broadband be hooked up to the cable modem or to the desktop? Can you help?

i can most certainly help you as i have three machines hooked up to a broadband wireless modem/router.

firstly lets take a tour round your current setup as i see it being that i dont know if your router has 'wired' ethernet ports on like mine does.

before doing anything with the hardware install the software first. when prompted you will need to enter the settings of which you should obtain from the ISP. this will include the encapsulation settings.

if your router has 4 ethernet ports then its a simple case of pluggin in cables. firstly plug in your telephone line cable and power cable. now take your RJ-45 (cat 5) cables and plug into the back of each machine and then into any of the numbered ports on your modem/router.

if however you are installing a completely wireless network you will need to get wireless dongles and set them to the same channel as your router. the router should automatically assign individual IP addresses to each networked machine. again there is an opportunity to manually do this if you so wish to.

hope i've helped you here. for the book my wired/wireless network works wonders and download speeds are much greater too.;)

Hi "Janine" You seem great with routers so i thought i'd direct my question to you.

I'll give you a little back ground info....

I have a pc which is connected to the internet directly from my ntl set top box to the ethernet connector on the back of my pc.

Now i have bought a new pc and a wireless broadband router when i try to install the router onto the first computer, without having a cable from the router to my pc i cant get onto the internet to access the router ip. In the post above you say something about setting the computer settings to the same channel as the router so it can get the internet. How do i do this? Non of my computers are picking up the router without cables.

Thanks in advance!

Anna

Hi "Janine" You seem great with routers so i thought i'd direct my question to you.

I'll give you a little back ground info....

I have a pc which is connected to the internet directly from my ntl set top box to the ethernet connector on the back of my pc.

Now i have bought a new pc and a wireless broadband router when i try to install the router onto the first computer, without having a cable from the router to my pc i cant get onto the internet to access the router ip. In the post above you say something about setting the computer settings to the same channel as the router so it can get the internet. How do i do this? Non of my computers are picking up the router without cables.

Thanks in advance!

Anna

hi anna, welcome to daniweb.
just read your question and am trying to clarify. is your ntl set top 'box' as you've put it your modem. i guess that it is. can you let me know what make and model your router is please? this could help.
when setting up your router its best to start out with the wired connection as in most cases accessing your router ip needs it this way. when installing your router software locate your ip address for it of which will be either on the setup cd or in the instruction manual. type this address into your browser address bar. hopefully this will bring up the setup screen and from here you will be able to locate the 'wireless' settings/channels. when i first set up my network i found that wireless channel 6 worked for me. you will then need to make sure that the wireless adapters in the other machines are set at the same channel (again through the software but for the specific wireless adapter). it might be better if i try to diagram it. if you are successful the setup status should come up as connected.;)

Hi Janine, Thanks for the reply

yes my set top box is my modem and the router is a linskys wireless - G WRT54G.

I now actually have the internet on both machines using ethernet cables from the router but obviously i'd like it to be wireless if possible!

I have tried typing in the ip address specified in the instruction manual like you said it tells me to leave the user name blank and supplies me with a password but it doesnt work! so i cant get to the setup screen! :rolleyes:

Thanks

Anna

its good that you've finally got access obviously. try again to leave the user name blank and where it says password i assume its said in the book as being admin (right or wrong). did you or anyone else change the password at anytime.

there should be a helpline number if you cant get the setup screen to come on. linksys should be able to issue a password that'll work.

Hi im so dumb yes i did change the password but i didnt think it was that password i was changing! I still cant get it to work wireless but maybe i dont have wireless connections on my computer!

Thanks for your help
It was greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Anna

Hi im so dumb yes i did change the password but i didnt think it was that password i was changing! I still cant get it to work wireless but maybe i dont have wireless connections on my computer!

Thanks for your help
It was greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Anna

thats ok. :)

Not all computer motherboards have wireless or IrDA capabilities built in. Evidently the newer the PC is and dependant on the make it might have wireless capabilities. If not and you want to run a wireless network then you can get a wireless network interface card at quite a reasonable price. just ensure that all your wireless channels are set the same;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.