Hey guys,

I'm hoping this is a well-known problem with a simple fix: I work at a study abroad program and most of the web-related problems that I see involve Vista machines that aren't picking up settings via DHCP. Windows 7, XP, OS X -- all fine. They'll auto-assign a bizarre IP like 167.156.43.34, as computers are wont to do when they don't pick up settings. I've tried turning off IPv6 support and have experimented with turning the broadcast flag off -- to no avail, obviously, since I'm writing here.

My solution so far has been to assign the users a static IP (under the alternate configuration setting) outside of the DHCP range, which works beautifully, but I'd like it to work appropriately.

The setup (in this case) is a Linksys/Cisco WAP4410N AP that gets its DHCP information from a Linksys RV082 router that is acting as the gateway.

Any ideas? Is it Vista-related, or am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I Got An Idea. Either You Did Not Connect The Modem To Your Internet On You Router...

But If This Presist , Go To Your Back Of Your Router And Pock A Small Pen On The Reset Button...

on the Linksys/Cisco WAP4410N AP is there an option to enable DHCP Relay?

Good idea, but I don't see one -- I also think it strange that it's only Vista machines that have this trouble; every other OS functions perfectly. There are other Access Point modes, but most seem to be targeted towards turning the device into a wireless repeater.

ok doesn't look like it will be down to relaying then. what happens if you plug the Vista computer directly into the router? Can it get an IP then?

Like I said in my original post, I've experimented with turning the broadcast flag off, but it didn't seem to help at all.

are you running any symantec software?

Good question. The PiQs (PCs in Question) are the students' machines that they bring from their apartments and use to connect to the wireless here. I hadn't been looking for that as a problem, but it's very possible.

I'll try to appropriate one and plug it directly into first the gateway to see if it will assign an appropriate IP that way and, if it does, will then plug it into the access point.

I appreciate the help, mr_mark_king.

Hm. Someone with Vista just came up to my desk and had no problems connecting beyond the fact that he couldn't figure out how to get past the PIN code request... did not have Symantec. You could have something...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.