Hello.
I am having problems connecting a laptop to my router wirelessly. The various details are below.

Laptop
Acer Aspire 5315
Windows Vista Home Basic
Atheros AR5007EG wireless network adapter
IP is set to obtain automatically

Router
Netgear Wireless N 300 Router (WNR2000v2)
SSID is set
WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption enabled
IP is set to get dynamically from ISP

When connecting through ethernet there are no problems, the problem arises when connecting wirelessly. I can scan and find my home network but when I connect, it has trouble obtaining an ip address. I have tried releasing and renewing the ip in the command prompt but this didn't work (the laptop was previously connected to another network). I know the router is functioning properly as I have connected my desktop pc wirelessly before and can still connect a PS3 wirelessly to the internet. When I try to connect the laptop it says 'Obtaining IP address, please wait...', and I've been waiting ever since. I can ping the router from the laptop, however when I ping the router wirelessly, it loses one of the packets and I only receive 3 packets back. I have checked the Device Manager and the wireless adapter is working fine and the driver is up to date.
Personally, I thik it has something to do with the laptop and I'm pointing my finger at the OS. I've never liked Vista and never will, but this one is the basic version. However there are plenty more people who know a lot more than I do so before I go out and spend a 3 figure sum on Windows 7, I thought I would ask the experts. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Well delete the driver and reinstall it.

go to set up of the router try to check the firewall settings, uncheck the block internet anonymously...

1) Your firewall may be set up to block all incoming connections go and check it first.
2) Go and reset your modem and router.
3) You say there is nothing wrong with your wireless adapter, is your wireless even turn on. Go and check it again
4) Take out your lan and use a new updated version. It may be due to your lan card. Hope this helps. Keep us updated on your progress, i am willing to give you more constructive suggestions.

Good Luck

i have an acer laptop that i just got on 12/28/2011 and it has windows7. i can use LAN to connect without issue to my netgear WNR2000 N300 and connect wireless as well as long as im in the same room with laptop & router but as soon as i leave the room, it refuses to stay connected. my 2 tablets, toshiba laptop, cell phone all the way to street level and TV have no issues staying connected. but take my acer 15 feet from router and i get a message that windows cant connect to wireless even though i see my wifi and it says Excellent signal. i called acer "India" 2 times and got the run around after they couldnt resolve. reset system to factory settings, downloaded an updated driver and was told that i would have to send it in for repair. at this point id rather just send it back and get an all in one that is hard wired instead. that is unless someone has the answer.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.