So I host a server for a game called Minecraft for people to play on. The default port that the game looks for is 25565. If another port is to be used, it must be specified after the IP. The IP and the port number are a rather long number for my users to have to remember, so I was wondering if it was possible to set up a DNS name for my server where users could type in "server.com" (for example). And the game would go to server.com:25565. But after that the DNS would redirect them to ipaddress:29065. Is there a way to do this, or even more convenient for me, if there is a free site that does this please let me know, but I do have a server on my network that I can use for this if thats the only way.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

@fuggles I would check out http://www.no-ip.com/ to see if you can make it work.
It also depends on your ISP. Some ISP'S do not allow this without paying extra for a static address for your public gateway. Also you could simply instruct your users to create a txt document with the address they use to connect and then they could copy and paste to connect. Hope this helps.

commented: Good one. Keep up the good work +1

I agreed with cash1846 above. By the way what is the name your internet service provider. There is a fellow poster here who has create a software. I have never use before but hope this helps.

Here is the link, i don't think this is what you are looking for but, just give it a try

http://www.octopusplus.com/

You can set up a server name but with permission first from the your ISP. Most of the time they will charge fees.

Oh well, I have a commercial server host, but at home I have a static IP anyway, but that doesn't matter. I guess a more clear version of my question would be: is it possible to do DNS with "port routing" as well? As in the incoming connection on port 25565 is switched over to 29065 without user input in the address.

It is possible but no easy way out. You have to have patience

Ok, how would I go about doing this?

Have you visit the link i posted

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.