I recently bought a new Netgear N150 DSL Modem/Router. I connected and set it up with my laptop (HP DV9715 w/Vista Home Premium SP2 AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60 2GB Ram NVIDIA Gforce 7150/nforce 630m). I have a direct-connected PC that gets on the internet. We also have two remote PCs that connect and a Windows 7 laptop that connects. The only problem is that my Vista laptop will not recognize the router by wifi. I called Netgear support and was told that it was a problem with Vista. Is it? If so, is there a solution?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Vista has many problems. You might want to upgrade your OS and use a newer version like windows 7. I will offer you some solutions.

1) make sure your firewall is turn off.
2) Reset your router and try to see if your windows laptop can connect to the laptop
3) make sure you wifi card is installed properly, if not re install your wi fi card again. Update all drivers.
4) make sure your wi fi is turn off. At the side of th laptop there should have a switch to turn off and on the wi fi.
5) try connecting to your router again but this time use an ethernet cable.
6) check your network settings.

One last time can you access the internet. Does your wi fi shows connected but cannot access internet or your wifi shows not connected to thr network.

Thank you for answering so quickly.
1) I have not turned off firewall yet. I will try that
2) I have reset the router and it did not help
3) My Wifi card is built into the laptop and it works well on every other wireless router
4) Wifi switch is on
5) Can connect with ethernet cable; just not wifi
6) Have checked and re-entered network settings at least 20-30 times
7) The message that it gives is 'Limited or no connectivity' and 'Cannot identify router'. When I connect with ethernet it connects using 'Network 11'. My router's name is "ShorttFamily"
I appreciate your time and interest. Thank-you.

Try upgrading your OS, Vista has many problem try using Windows XP and see whether the problem persists.

I recently bought a new Netgear N150 DSL Modem/Router. I connected and set it up with my laptop (HP DV9715 w/Vista Home Premium SP2 AMD Turion 64x2 TL-60 2GB Ram NVIDIA Gforce 7150/nforce 630m). I have a direct-connected PC that gets on the internet. We also have two remote PCs that connect and a Windows 7 laptop that connects. The only problem is that my Vista laptop will not recognize the router by wifi. I called Netgear support and was told that it was a problem with Vista. Is it? If so, is there a solution?

It is problem with Vista. It is my personally observation.

commented: Crap answer -2

Hi

Broadcast your WiFi connection SSID , this can be changed in your router setup,this solved a similar problem for me

It really depends. Changing your network name does not really helps all the time.

Hi did you try it?it is not changing the network name it is broadcasting it rather than keeping it hidden,which is strictly speaking more secure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.