Hello, Is there anyone out there who can advise me on how to fix the following?
I cannot connect to the internet using a wireless card on my Laptop through the router.Other PCs with cable connections work fine.
Signal Strength and Link quality are optimal. ( over 90% )
The card Transmits but wont receive any packets.
SSID and encription codes are correct.
In short Ive tried everything I can think of , but to no evail.
Anyone had a similar problem and found the answer?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What OS are you running?
What router?
Have you checked device manager to make sure the wireless card installed properly?

For the time being I'll assume that you're running WinXP (Home/Pro, doesn't matter for now), and that the card is not conflicted or improperly installed (software wise), but please confirm these points or post otherwise.

Run ipconfig/all and post the complete results - there'll be a LOT of info.

Also when you view your wireless connections, what is your status, number of packets sent, and number of packets recieved?

Also when you view your wireless connections, what is your status, number of packets sent, and number of packets recieved?

Hi w1r3sp33d, Sending works just fine, it´s receiving any packets at all (0) thats the problem.

Also when I ping my router I see the same....all packets are lost.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the post!

Strop.

Usually this is because either the MAC is on a block list or the WEP key the PC is sending doesn't match what the AP is looking for for that SSID.

Are you using the default SSID?
Did you set a new WEP key for that SSID?
Did you run the initial setup from a wizard?
What is the make and model of the router?

Usually this is because either the MAC is on a block list or the WEP key the PC is sending doesn't match what the AP is looking for for that SSID.

Are you using the default SSID?
Did you set a new WEP key for that SSID?
Did you run the initial setup from a wizard?
What is the make and model of the router?

Hi again,
No im using an altered SSID for security reasons.They(router and card) match.
I didnt set a new WEP key.But I have checked the router config and they match up too.
I set the wireless card up myself without wizard.
Im using a Siemens gigaset SE 105 Router. Xp Home on the PC.Card is a D-Link DWL 610.
I have manually set my IP too so that its in the vacinity of the routers IP.If i dont do this the Laptop asigns a total other IP
162..........ect.
Can you explain what you mean about the Mac address being blocked? Do you mean on router config?
Thanks for your time.I´m goin nuts trying to solve this!

The address it was getting would have been a 169 address, basically a MS code for a failled DHCP negotiation. A "MAC Filter" can be put on most AP's to block or permit certain MAC addresses (you will see yours in your "ipconfig /all") from using the wireless connection. This usually isn't a problem unless someone has specifically went in and set it up.

I am having a heck of a time locating a manual for that router in english. In the meantime please confirm that either your channels are hunting or statically locked on the same channel. 1,6,11 are best if you are getting no interferance on those channels (do you see any other SSID's?)

The address it was getting would have been a 169 address, basically a MS code for a failled DHCP negotiation. A "MAC Filter" can be put on most AP's to block or permit certain MAC addresses (you will see yours in your "ipconfig /all") from using the wireless connection. This usually isn't a problem unless someone has specifically went in and set it up.

I am having a heck of a time locating a manual for that router in english. In the meantime please confirm that either your channels are hunting or statically locked on the same channel. 1,6,11 are best if you are getting no interferance on those channels (do you see any other SSID's?)

Hi again,
Ad hoc channel is fixed at 10.So its not roaming.
This is config´d on router as well to be the operating channel.
Only other SSID I see is default, but I cant connect.
This might be helpful in obtaining that manual.
http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_23014_rArNrNrNrN_prodId%3A15701,00.html
You dont give up huh?
Cheers.

Thanks for the link!

Are your wired PC's DHCP? You stated that they work, is your manual IP in the same subnet as the working wired devices? Do they have the same defautl gateway?

You say you see ConnectionPoint as an available network? Can you connect to that (make sure you OK the "unsecure networks" popup) there should be no WEP key for this network. If this works we will disable it later. On a related note, have you used the wireless NIC in your PC before?

BTW the frequencies of channel 10 overlap with both 6 and 11, I would pick a free channel and move it one way or the other.

In closing, no I don't like giving up (but it is nearing my bedtime...)

Thanks for the link!

Are your wired PC's DHCP? You stated that they work, is your manual IP in the same subnet as the working wired devices? Do they have the same defautl gateway?

You say you see ConnectionPoint as an available network? Can you connect to that (make sure you OK the "unsecure networks" popup) there should be no WEP key for this network. If this works we will disable it later. On a related note, have you used the wireless NIC in your PC before?

BTW the frequencies of channel 10 overlap with both 6 and 11, I would pick a free channel and move it one way or the other.

In closing, no I don't like giving up (but it is nearing my bedtime...)

Hi,Wired PCs are DHCP.
Subnet mask is identical on wired PCs
Also gateway.
I have a default network in available networks crossed with a red X
I added Connection Point. Won´t connect. Also red X.
Yes the wireless card did work at an other flat.And also briefly here at our new place some time ago.The next time I tried it, not.Although I hadn´t change any settings.
Makes it all the more a mystery for me as everything seems to be correctly set up.

Have you checked whether your firewall is blocking the internal IP of your laptop?

(By internal I mean the one that your router assigns to the laptop - should be something like 192.168.0.xxxx)

Have you checked whether your firewall is blocking the internal IP of your laptop?

(By internal I mean the one that your router assigns to the laptop - should be something like 192.168.0.xxxx)

Hi Pimp Daddy,
Thanks for your thoughts.......but till now I´m not running a firewall on my laptop. Will do soon as Im up and running.

Strop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.