Hi :) when I first turn my laptop on, I can connect to the internet and browse as normal. However if I send the laptop to sleep by just shutting it, on reopening I cannot browse the internet. Whilst the wifi is described as 'connected' with an excellent signal strength, no web pages will open and nothing that needs a connection will work. I have to restart the laptop to make it work. This is a brand new Acer Aspire and I'm using windows 8.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How are you connecting to the internet? Via WiFi? Is the access-point you are connected to when you sleep the system the same as when you wake it up? Also, what operating system are you using - Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux, other?

WiFi, yes, and it's the same access-point. The operating system is Windows 8.
This has happened in two different locations - it is definitely an issue with the laptop.

while using internet for 2 second suddenly my laptop sreen becomes black and it shows a message saying winows driver stopped responding.. What exactly it is???

Remove ALL the stored wireless network profiles, it's still remembering the WPA key and trying to use that. When you search for the network after the profiles are gone, it'll ask for the WEP key.

How much time do you give the laptop to connect before restarting it?

Typically, due to power management, wifi is turned off and then turns back on again when the computer wakes up. So, you won't get immediate access. Try waiting for about 30 to 45 seconds.

Also, there is no reason to delete your Wireless profiles, and WEP is less secure than WPA. Additionally, the matter of whether the security is WEP or WPA is decided by the configuration of the Router and not the computer logging in. But, please don't stop dropping in suggestions because of this minor correction, we all get things wrong from time to time. :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.