I consider myself a mid to advanced PC user, I 'am thinking of joining the "work at home" community, I want to set up a home office environnment in my redesigned garage, I have 2 desk tops, monitors etc. now here's the question. Should I ,do I, need to employ an additional wireless router?(I'm currently using a high speed carrier with capabilities of multiple users and devices,ie; TV boxset top/dvr,lap top,tablets) I have the exact same brand, unused additional router for my use. now if I connect this additional router to the office PC would I be able to networkmy home PC? I know that the SSID,KEY/Security# would be different, but would I be able to end work and walk away from the office PC and resume on the home computer? or am I simply over thinking this?
any suggestions, advise, so on would be be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I do not clearly understand your question. So far, I understand that you want to set up a network at home in your office.

Should I ,do I, need to employ an additional wireless router?

I do not understand why you are asking this question. You can either connect your computers to a wired or wireless network.

if I connect this additional router to the office PC would I be able to networkmy home PC?

What do you mean by connecting to a PC?

I know that the SSID,KEY/Security# would be different, but would I be able to end work and walk away from the office PC and resume on the home computer?

So are you asking that if you have a wireless network at the office with a certain SSID, if you create a wireless network at home with the same SSID, would it work seamlessly?

The answer is yes, if you use the same authentication/encryption mechanism and password. For example, if at the office you have the wireless setup as WPA2 with a certain password, if you reproduce it at home, the mobile device will connect in both places without prompting you for additional configuration.

It might just be me, but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking?

By deploying a second router but on the same internet (A/V)DSL connection you shall minimse congestion on the throughput up to the router, however all traffic shall still go through your line so the effects would be negligable providing your original router can handle the number of devices you want to connect to it.

The only advantage I can see from deploying a second router in a home environment would be to extend the range of the Wireless, which can be done by using one router as the master and the second one as a slave/access point. On the slave you would want to disable DHCP, however providing the SSID and passwords are the same your computers should 'jump' between the routers to whichever one has the best signal and therefore you can walk and work to your hearts content.

JorgeM has beaten me to it :P

but would I be able to end work and walk away from the office PC and resume on the home computer? or am I simply over thinking this?

if by office PC you mean the one you setup in the redesigned garage ,then yes you are over thinking this thing

Thanks, caperjack, I thought so, just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a line to comfortably work outside the house and anything to enhance my "at home" work endeavor would certainly be helpful.
Thanks to to you all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.