Kev27 0 Newbie Poster

Hey all:)

Just joined this site, looks like a very helpful place to be. I was hoping somebody could help me out here.

Ok, i'm having a problem with my wireless connection keep dropping. I'm not very good with computers, but i'll try to describe it the best i can.

I have an Acer Aspire running Windows xp. I am connected wirelessly to the ' Actiontec open access network'. I have Norton AV and Spyware Doctor running all the time, windows firewall is currently disabled.

I recently enabled WEP in my router, but the sreen after..telling me something about an access key or something confussed me. So i aborted the process, but WEP must have still been enabled. This led to me not being able to access the web or my routers interface. I then had to reset and reconfigure my router with the correct info.

After i done this, i started getting some weird behaviour with my wireless connection. Although i got the 'successfully configured' message in my router, i still had a red cross over the wireless symbol in my taskbar. This cross stays there whether i'm connected via ethernet or not. My wireless light ( laptop ) flashes every 5mins and i get a message saying ' Unable to connect to wireless network'. I then click repair, this results in my wireless light stop flashing, yet i get a message saying ' Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network'. The weird thing is, when the wireless light is not flashing i can access the web, yet all the time there's a red cross in my taskbar which say ' wireless connection not connected'

P.S, i've reset my router successfully in the past.

Can anybody please help me out here, as i've already wasted 3 nights of my life trying to sort it out.:lol: :mad:

Thanks Kev