Is it possible to share a printer over a wireless connection? If how, could you please help me. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Depends what you mean. If your printer has an ethernet port at the back, you can do several of the following:

• If you have a wireless router, you can connect it to that and then access it from another computer in your network.
  • You can also connect it with a wireless ethernet adapter to make the entire printer wireless.

If it just has a serial/USB port (not network-ready), you're going to have to connect it to a wireless-enabled computer in order for the printer to be "wireless".

Hope this helps

Is it possible to share a printer over a wireless connection? If how, could you please help me. Thanks.

Assuming your OS is some flavour of Windows, then the same service which you use for sharing drives and folders can be used to share printers. On the machine which owns the printer, look in your Printers window, select the properties of the printer, Find the tab labelled "Sharing" - the rest should be self-explanatory.

The type of medium over which you're sharing the resource (Wi-Fi / Ethernet / Bluetooth / etc) is irrelevent, provided the configuration for that connection is setup properly - For Windows NT/2K/XP/etc you need to enable NetBIOS on both computers in order for file & print sharing to work correctly.

NetBIOS usually runs over TCP/IP - there's a setting in the TCP/IP properties in your network configuration which will allow you to enable NetBIOS.

failing this, NetBIOS can also run over Novell Netware's IPX (Used more commonly for older versions of Windows)

thank you ill let you know when i figure it out.

took me awhile but i forgot the name of the computer the printer was attached too. Thanks for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.