Could I have a network connection through the house over the power grid?
If so how do I do it, and what are the advantages and disadvantages. I couldn't find a lot on google on this.
Thank You.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Its perfectly possible but its slow, expensive and unreliable. upsides are not much really (people say its easier but i dont believe them)

It's quite easy using HomePlug. It's terribly useful if you need to have some sort of network connection but don't have the means to wire it - and perhaps you don't like the idea of a wireless network.

And it is quite easy to use - simply plug in the adapter, and you have ethernet. There's a number of problems though, such as speed (even wireless is faster), and reliablility: often applicances can emit certain frequencies which cause interference with the connection. So it's HomePlug is only useful in a limited number of situations.

and where I am homeplug is over £100 for 2 adapters whereas 2 ethernet NICs and 10m of crossover is under £50

well wifi b is 11
wifi g is 54
ethernet is 10/100/1000

That's the maximum speed that the thing can operate at, but be aware that interference can cause anything from slowdowns to complete blockage of the network connection.

I'd say go ahead and try it, but make sure you can get a refund for it if it doesn't work (or you don't like it).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.