My primary workstation connects to a wireless router for Internet Access. Due to the layout of the room my modem has to be located elsewhere along with the router. I have a server which I would like to connect to my workstation and share the Internet connection. The setup I am trying is described below. While each computer can see the other the server cannot reach the Internet.

Workstation
Wireless connection
TCP/IP is set to auto DHCP from the router, but lets say its IP is currently 192.168.1.2
Connection is shared
LAN connection
TCP/IP is set to 192.168.1.3
Firewall is opened to 192.168.1.10

Server
LAN connection
IP is set to 192.168.1.10
default gateway is set to 192.168.1.3
DNS is set to 192.168.1.3

LAN ports on both are wired to a 4 port hub.

I can ping each computer ok and I can view the intranet server I have running on my workstation from the server.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Wouldn't it be easier to get another wireless card for the server? I think the default gate must be the same one as the router not the computer with the shared connection, maybe.

Wouldn't it be easier to get another wireless card for the server? I think the default gate must be the same one as the router not the computer with the shared connection, maybe.

Easier, but not free.

Free is hard to beat. Are you able to ping the router form the server? if you can get there maybe you can set the default gateway to the router. I think that should fix it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.