I work in a computer repair shop, and in the past week we've had 5 or 6 computers that can connect to the internet fine, but cannot see anything on else on the network. I've tried all the basic stuff reloading drivers, workgroup, release and renew ip, disable and enable card, and nothing seems to make any difference. I am sure its something completely obvious that I've just been overlooking but I can't think of what it is. The only thing that has fixed it is reloading Windows, which in some cases really isn't worth it. Some of the problems have been with Windows XP and some have been with Windows Media Center 2005. Thx in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

have you tried pinging other computers? have you tried pinging the router? have you checked your network connections?

repeating the normal windows setting for file sharing for the 100000th time:
1. all pcs in same workgroup
2. all pcs have the same users/passwords (no blank passwords)
3. bob's your uncle :)

@ TheNNS it pings the NAS and both shop PC's fine it just won't see them on the network.

@ DimaYasny already setup that way, it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Have you checked to see about firewall settings? That was my first thought, computer is able to see the internet (which is probably not blocked), but can't see anything else(which might be blocked) is usually an indication of a firewall blocking access

Have you checked to see about firewall settings? That was my first thought, computer is able to see the internet (which is probably not blocked), but can't see anything else(which might be blocked) is usually an indication of a firewall blocking access

One of them it was norton's firewall but the others weren't. Windows firewall disabled on them, no other firewalls and our external firewall isn't blocking it.

Just make sure all the same protocol/services/client are enablle on all the PC if NWlink/ipx/spx netbios is NOT enable, enable on each pc, let me know how that work.

Just make sure all the same protocol/services/client are enablle on all the PC if NWlink/ipx/spx netbios is NOT enable, enable on each pc, let me know how that work.

why would windows stations with no netware on the network need ipx/spx to work???

why don't you ask bill gates that, i was having the same problem, could not access shared drive, from some pc and some pc could not access shared printer when i add the protocols it work like a charm. hey feel free to try, what can an added protocol do to your pc.....

oh, nothing at all, just maybe interfere with proper NIC work.
I've worked with netware for years, and I've seen loads of problems mixing protocols might cause a windows system. if you want an ipx/spx network - stick to that, unless you have absolutely no choice. what you said there is not the solution, though it might work, but it's like putting a wooden wheel on a car with a flat tyre - might work for a while, but would probably cause bigger trouble in the long time.

>why don't you ask bill gates that

like he's gonna know. He's a business man, hasn't coded in decades.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.