I just bought an HP ZE 4145 notebook computer that needed repair. When I turn it on, it comes up with an error message - PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable and then Operating system not found. I tested the hard drive on another computer but couldn't get anything to come up on it. So I got another hard drive but it still does the same thing. I tried taking it apart and removed all the screws underneath but it wouldn't split apart. Does anybody have experience with these? I have built my own desktop unit but this is my first notebook. Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Does it see the cd-rom/dvd and boot from it?

Yeah, does the system recognize the hard drive in the BIOS?

Also, when taking a portable system apart, generally you don't "split" the pieces apart by removing the bottom screws-- those usually provide access to remove the keyboard, which in turn provides access to everything else inside of the system. The motherboard is usally attached to the "bottom half" of the unit.

Does it see the cd-rom/dvd and boot from it?

I tried changing the boot up in the BIOS to the CD-ROM and put the Windows XP CD in but nothing comes up. You can hear the CD spinning for a while though.

Yeah, does the system recognize the hard drive in the BIOS?

Also, when taking a portable system apart, generally you don't "split" the pieces apart by removing the bottom screws-- those usually provide access to remove the keyboard, which in turn provides access to everything else inside of the system. The motherboard is usally attached to the "bottom half" of the unit.

It does recognize the hard drive in the BIOS. I also tried taking out the Hard Drive and no Hard Drive showed up in the BIOS.

"media test failure" doesn't mean anything about the overall working of the unit. if BIOS comes up and it sees CD drive but it won't boot from CD, generally, motherboard is DOA

"media test failure" doesn't mean anything about the overall working of the unit. if BIOS comes up and it sees CD drive but it won't boot from CD, generally, motherboard is DOA

I don't have the recovery CD for the notebook. I was just using a copy of Windows XP Pro set-up disk. Does that matter?

Can you boot from that cd on another computer to verify that it does work.

I just talked to a guy at a notebook parts company and he said that I would get nothing on the screen if the motherboard was bad. He thinks it is a bad connector from the MB to the HD. They costs around $130.

If it was a bad connector would it still boot from the CD-ROM? I'm assuming that you put the CD-ROM listing at the top in my BIOS so that it boots from that 1st. Is that correct? Nothing comes up with it that way with the Windows XP CD in.

This is one of my problems as well. Pls. take a look at this post, and let me know there's any hope for my laptop. Can't run Laptop

operating system not found means you have a problem with your hard drive this is either hardware or software. visit a laptop repair company they can fix this easy problem for around £75.00 try www.laptoprepair.co.uk found in google

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.