Hi

I have 2 ps3's and one of them works, the old doesn't because the game chip has melted into the motherboard and when i turn it on it doesn't go any further than the standby mode.

All my game data is on the old machines hard drive.

How can i move the data from the old machine to the new machines hard drive?

I can't connect them together because the old machine doesn't go further than the standby mode!

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How can i move the data from the old machine to the new machines hard drive?

Pull out the old PS3 hard drive. It's essentially a laptop drive.

Then you have a number of options for transferring data. You could put it in an enclosure and connect it to PC and transfer the data that way - use flash drive to put on working PS3.

Or, you could put the old drive in the working PS3 and use flash drives to transfer saved data to PC. You can skip the PC step if there isn't a lot of data to transfer. Then, swap out the drives again and transfer the files from PC to new hard drive.

Cheers :)
PP

No you cant, not if the PS3 drives are like the Xbox ones.

Xbox ones have some sort of hardware-level encryption, and the hdd and disk drive are paired, you have to crack them to read it with a PC or upgrade them.

No you cant, not if the PS3 drives are like the Xbox ones.

Xbox ones have some sort of hardware-level encryption, and the hdd and disk drive are paired, you have to crack them to read it with a PC or upgrade them.

You may be right, James.

But, I would go ahead and try my option 2 and swap out the old drive into the working PS3. I have replaced hard drives in PS3s before (upgrade to larger drive), but I've never actually tried swapping them. I pulled the data off before upgrading and then copied it back. I know that works....

PP:)

commented: helpful +15

If you were able to upgrade and get the data off to a pc, then swapping may well work. Didnt know that, thanks :) (im more of an xbox guy)

If you were able to upgrade and get the data off to a pc, then swapping may well work. Didnt know that, thanks :) (im more of an xbox guy)

That was my thinking.

Interestingly, Sony details the hard drive replacement procedure in the actual PS3 owner's manual. Nothing to it, really.
I upgraded a couple machines to 320GB drives with no issues at all....

PP:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.