My computer seems to be freezing rather randomly. I can't see any reason that it should be freezing as a result of being overloaded, because I'm not doing anything to overly stress it (nothing that I haven't done tons of times before). For instance, I could just be browsing the internet. Furthermore, when it freezes, my regular tricks don't work. I can't open up the task manager and shut down the process I think is causing the problem. I also can't switch to the desktop or another window. Additionally: I'm not sure, but I think in each case I was able to move the mouse.

After being frozen for a minute or two, I'll force shutdown or my computer will attempt a restart on its own (which perhaps is a result of trying to pull up the task manager). At this point it takes a few minutes just to pass the bios stage.

It eventually throws out this information:

Intel(R) Boot Agent GE v1.2.50

Intel(R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code (PXE-2.1 build 086)

CLIENT MAC ADDR:... GUID:...
PXE-E53: No bootfilename received

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent
No bootable device--insert boot disk and press any key

Additionally: I sometimes get chassis fan not working error before the above information, but I know I have a faulty fan. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong (which is why I'm including it).

The only thing that I've been able to think of to try is to reset bios by removing/reseating the cmos battery.

It starts up fine after doing this. I don't know exactly why this is effective, because I don't yet understand the issue. Obviously, it is only a temporary fix, because this keeps happening. I have to assume the problem is related to the motherboard, but other than that I know nothing.

I was thinking it would be nice if I somehow was able to log what made my computer freeze, but I don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

With the chassis fan being faulty you could be looking at an overheating problem. Maybe not enough to create an alarm but enough to make things go wonky. Opening the case to reset the bios could be releasing the heat allowing things to work properly until they heat up again.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could monitor the heat?

Depending on how old your computer is there should be a utility in your start menu to read it. Check the folder named for the manufacturer of the computer.

mmm, the first thing i think i would check is that it is not trying to boot to a network through the lan. open the bios and check the device boot priority, should be dvd/cd first and then hdd or vica vers, but it should not be set to lan or network, just a thought. another would be try to run the repair console off the instalation disc if you have it, boot to it and run a 'chkdsk /r' scan or 'chkdsk /p /r', some sysrems have a repair console built in and this can be accessed by pressing alt f11 or f12 at the same time when the system logo appears and before windows starts loading up, this option can vary and the system manufacturer will be able to help with the correct buttons to press at the right time if it has that function. You can access the computer running temperatures in the bios, or maybe download a system monitoring app from the web.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.