I'm trying to install an Iomega Zip 100 MB Drive on an Asus Z97 64bit motherboard running Windows 10 with a PCI express ide connector to substitute for the lack of connector that the 64bit motherboards now are usually leaving the legacy ide connector disk drives out that could be found to connect to the 32 bit motherboards. it doesn't show up in the device manager or in disk management but the light comes on the front of the drive and the zip drive can be ejected under the power of the computer build. Is there a driver I haven't been able to find the need for one. Is there something that I might can do that I have overlooked. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The last time I saw this was using the USB version of this drive. Did you try some USB to IDE adapter?

About that IDE PCIe board. You have to get the motherboard drivers first for that board to show and then the drivers for that PCIe IDE board. But AFAIK, the only OS this worked was in Linux. Windows? Find the old USB drive.

I gave away mine after I had moved everything off Zip discs. For your last hurrah why not any old IDE PC? Or Linux?

I've installed a 100MB zip drive to consolidate types of programs for programming in Visual STudio 2008 on Windows 10 and Windows 8 machines that I can move from station to station using the 100MB Zip Disks Click HereClick HereClick Here

The Computer Build Components are ASUS Z97, Zip Drive, and PCIe IDE Connector: Click HereClick HereClick Here

I haven't yet gotten the Zip Drive to show as a drive.

@James, I noted what I would try but I have to repeat something. I find that those PCIe boards may not show up until the motherboard chipset drivers are installed first. You didn't comment how you accomplished this. What I'm seeing are new and old techs installing Windows and excuse my French, HOPE the drivers for this area are automagically picked out and installed by Windows. In my experience, W10 is better but still fails too often in driver finding. Now I have to temper my view on this since folk only bring me the failures.

That aside, this should be nothing more than a salvage expedition. That is, getting the contents off the Zip drives. Even if this means pulling some old desktop back into operation for the last hurrah.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.