Hi everyone,

I would like to know what the best seo rules are for writing friendly urls. I have an item I would like to add to my website which has a file name of:

Houses & Cars

I know the website will then create a separate page for this item with a url like www.website-name.com/house-&-cars.html or something similar.

To make this url seo and google friendly would i have to change it in anyway and replace the character "&" with the word "and" for instance? As I have heard that using characters in urls is not seo friendly and google may frown upon using characters in urls.

Anyway advice would be most welcome.

Kind Regards.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Special characters like & symbol is strictly restricted and such URLs give lot of problems to search engines. So, it is always recommendable to ignore the & symbol and separate both house and cars keywords by a hyphan like house-cars.html. Even you place and symbol between them, search engines ignore it in keyword searching.

I Agree With this Info. i too have faced this kind of problems for my site.it is very useful tips for seo friendly urls. thanks for sharing with us.

url's must be friendly to promote user's experience and to become google's favourite

do a bit of keyword analysis and select the best keyword with good monthly search and low competition and include it the url, it's not that it should be like houses-cars.html it can be any other keyword related to the page and even part of the URL is ok

Special characters like & symbol is strictly restricted and such URLs give lot of problems to search engines. So, it is always recommendable to ignore the & symbol and separate both house and cars keywords by a hyphan like house-cars.html. Even you place and symbol between them, search engines ignore it in keyword searching.

how about numbers on url's. is it fine to use numbers?

Include Keywords in URLs and the keep your URL short and descriptive. Use hyphens to seperate words.

make sure yorl url should be Short , Include your keyword if possible, Use lowercase letters and go with HTTPS.

Describe your Content. ...
Include Keywords in URLs. ...
Use Hyphens to Separate Words. ...
Use Lowercase Letters in URLs. ...
Keep URLs Short. ...
Use Static URLs. ...
Be Careful with Subdomains. ...
Limit Folders in URL Structure.

Best SEO rules for writing seo friendly urls:-
Keeping URL Simple
URL should be definitive
Keyword-rich
Easy to read

Hello,
Please don't use '&' symbol in your URL to avoid problem in SEO.

Before you can write an SEO friendly URL that is optimized for searchers and search engines, you need to identify the keyword for the page. Every webpage that you hope will rank in SERPs should have a target keyword, as this is the primary term that search engines will use to categorize and identify the page.

As you create a page of content for your website, identify the best keywords by selecting a term that:

Is closely tied to your topic or industry
Has a high search popularity (People are searching for the term.)
Has a low competition in search (It is possible for your website to rank for the term.)
To identify keywords that fit this criterion, use Alexa’s Keyword Difficulty Tool. Enter a phrase that is related to your topic or industry.

Well-customized URLs are important for both search engine optimization and user experience. Search engines make many variables in their decision making process and the list URLs are too long. Like page titles, URLs help define a web page for search engines and potential visitors, meaning they should be accurate, compelling, and engaging. Although there are many factors to consider, here are eight best ways to create SEO friendly URLs.

1. Describe your content
    The user should simply read the URL and get an accurate idea of ​​the content of a web page. To achieve this goal, the URL must include a valid phrase or term that is relevant to the content of the page.

2. Include keywords in the URL
    It's a good idea to optimize every web page around a keyword, and include its word in the URL. It is also important to put very important keywords at the beginning of the URL, because search engine spiders do not give much importance to the words until the end of the URL. Remember, though, don't overuse keywords. Search engines recognize the fullness of keywords and will penalize your website for these actions.

3. Use hyphens to separate words
    The use of hyphens to separate words in URL phrases is important for both user readability and search engine optimization. Google recommends using hyphens (-) instead of underscores (_) in URLs because hyphens are considered spaces between words, while words connected by underscores are viewed as one word. Is.

4. Use lowercase letters in the URL
    Don't use uppercase letters in your URL. Search engines can distinguish URLs with uppercase and lowercase letters, which can lead to duplicate URLs and loss of page rank.

5. Keep URL short
    The URL of the web page should be as concise and concise as possible. A short URL is faster to type and read. Also, no matter how few words there are, every word comes from the search engine spider. Many similar words in the URL can be seen as word stuffing and can result in a drop in search rankings.

6. Use static URLs
    Whenever possible you should have a stable, unchanged URL. These are URLs that remain constant with each page load. Try to avoid unnecessary parameters such as "?," "And," and "=", which are common features of dynamic URLs. Static URLs are easy for both users and search engines to read. This doesn't mean you can't add additional parameters to the URL you're posting on social media to help track marketing data, but strict coding on your site from dynamic URLs Avoid.

7. Be careful with subdomains
    It is important to note that search engines have the ability to perceive a subdomain as a separate entity from the primary domain. This can affect many aspects of SEO, including link building and the cost of trust. Unless you have a specific reason for using subdomains, it's best to use subfolders instead.

8. Restrict folders to the URL structure
    URL must not contain unnecessary folders. Use the required folders and font size for your URL structure. The structure of your site is better than flattering.

Using these best practices for SEO friendly URLs should help your site rank higher in search results and persuade users to visit your pages. Utilities are a key component of URLs, and all aspects of SEO. Always keep the user in mind. One more thing to remember, Google likes to change the rules. Keep an eye out for changes in the world of SEO.

Member Avatar for nihitthakkar

Rules to Create an SEO Friendly URL:

1. Use the keyword in the URL
  2. Don't include special characters
  3. Connect the URL to the page title
  4. Cut out unnecessary words
  5. Avoid automated numeric labels
  6. Leave out stop words if you want.

This is an 8 year old thread. I don't think keywords in a URL are as important as they once were. However, there can be some advantages to using directory structure in a URL to signal to the user where in the hierarchy of the site they are, especially if the site's navigational structure is not very simple.

@nihitthakkar you have mentioned some best stpes. I will add:

• Add Hyphens to the URL
  • Tell About your Content in the URL
  • Always Use https
  • Don’t Include Special Characters to the URL

You need to create a unique content and make sure to use a great keyword.

Best SEO rules for writing SEO friendly URL is domain.com/Keyword

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.