Hi everyone,

I would like to know what the best seo rules are for writing friendly urls. I have an item I would like to add to my website which has a file name of:

Houses & Cars

I know the website will then create a separate page for this item with a url like www.website-name.com/house-&-cars.html or something similar.

To make this url seo and google friendly would i have to change it in anyway and replace the character "&" with the word "and" for instance? As I have heard that using characters in urls is not seo friendly and google may frown upon using characters in urls.

Anyway advice would be most welcome.

Kind Regards.

Re: Best seo rules for writing seo friendly urls 80 80

Special characters like & symbol is strictly restricted and such URLs give lot of problems to search engines. So, it is always recommendable to ignore the & symbol and separate both house and cars keywords by a hyphan like house-cars.html. Even you place and symbol between them, search engines ignore it in keyword searching.

I Agree With this Info. i too have faced this kind of problems for my site.it is very useful tips for seo friendly urls. thanks for sharing with us.

url's must be friendly to promote user's experience and to become google's favourite

do a bit of keyword analysis and select the best keyword with good monthly search and low competition and include it the url, it's not that it should be like houses-cars.html it can be any other keyword related to the page and even part of the URL is ok

Special characters like & symbol is strictly restricted and such URLs give lot of problems to search engines. So, it is always recommendable to ignore the & symbol and separate both house and cars keywords by a hyphan like house-cars.html. Even you place and symbol between them, search engines ignore it in keyword searching.

how about numbers on url's. is it fine to use numbers?

Include Keywords in URLs and the keep your URL short and descriptive. Use hyphens to seperate words.

make sure yorl url should be Short , Include your keyword if possible, Use lowercase letters and go with HTTPS.

Seo Friendly Url Structure
domain name / category/product name
https://example.com/whiskey/irish-whiskey/jameson
I Think You can Help for This Example.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.18 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.