Hi
i want to select the values from my table where a column must contains some value. So i wrote this
Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 and CMCode = 5

This query not giving me any result but

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 Or CMCode = 5

is giving me result.
I am confused. What is happening. What should be the query?

Thanks and regards,
sbv

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by debasisdas

if u use this clause (and operator) it means two condition must be available. if just one condition only (ex CMCode=4) then this command didn't give result. so CMcode = 4 & CMcode = 5 must be available to get result.

is giving me result.

This clause will give result if one of condition available or two condition available. so you don't needed two condition to give a result, one condition can give result.

if u use this clause (and operator) it means two condition must be available. if just one condition only (ex CMCode=4) then this command didn't give result. so CMcode = 4 & CMcode = 5 must be available to get result.

This clause will give result if one of condition available or two condition available. so you don't needed two condition to give a result, one condition can give result.

Hi
Thanks for reply.
My Table contents are as follows.....

RID MasterVal CMCode
-------------------------------------
1 Cricket 4
2 Marketing 5
3 bla bla

Now here from my table i want to select records where CMCode is 4 and 5. So is my query is wrong!! :(

yes it is, use "where cmcode = 4 or cmcode = 5" which will give you all the rows where cmcode is either 4 or 5 (it can never be both at the same time, which is why your original query gave no results).

Hi
i want to select the values from my table where a column must contains some value. So i wrote this

is giving me result.
I am confused. What is happening. What should be the query?

Thanks and regards,
sbv

hi
use this query - Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 Or CMCode = 5

An alternative which you may see commonly is instead of using multiple references to a field with 'or' is to write something like

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode in ( 4, 5 )

You can imagine when you have 5 or 6 possible values that this is much shorter and easier to read.
Nige

An alternative which you may see commonly is instead of using multiple references to a field with 'or' is to write something like

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode in ( 4, 5 )

You can imagine when you have 5 or 6 possible values that this is much shorter and easier to read.
Nige

hi
thanks to all.
what i need is gained by using the query of IN and Not In.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.