Hi
i want to select the values from my table where a column must contains some value. So i wrote this
Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 and CMCode = 5

This query not giving me any result but

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 Or CMCode = 5

is giving me result.
I am confused. What is happening. What should be the query?

Thanks and regards,
sbv

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

if u use this clause (and operator) it means two condition must be available. if just one condition only (ex CMCode=4) then this command didn't give result. so CMcode = 4 & CMcode = 5 must be available to get result.

is giving me result.

This clause will give result if one of condition available or two condition available. so you don't needed two condition to give a result, one condition can give result.

if u use this clause (and operator) it means two condition must be available. if just one condition only (ex CMCode=4) then this command didn't give result. so CMcode = 4 & CMcode = 5 must be available to get result.

This clause will give result if one of condition available or two condition available. so you don't needed two condition to give a result, one condition can give result.

Hi
Thanks for reply.
My Table contents are as follows.....

RID MasterVal CMCode
-------------------------------------
1 Cricket 4
2 Marketing 5
3 bla bla

Now here from my table i want to select records where CMCode is 4 and 5. So is my query is wrong!! :(

yes it is, use "where cmcode = 4 or cmcode = 5" which will give you all the rows where cmcode is either 4 or 5 (it can never be both at the same time, which is why your original query gave no results).

yes, as jwenting said. it can never be both at the same time.

Hi
i want to select the values from my table where a column must contains some value. So i wrote this

is giving me result.
I am confused. What is happening. What should be the query?

Thanks and regards,
sbv

hi
use this query - Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode = 4 Or CMCode = 5

i suggest to use or operand in query, don't use and.

An alternative which you may see commonly is instead of using multiple references to a field with 'or' is to write something like

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode in ( 4, 5 )

You can imagine when you have 5 or 6 possible values that this is much shorter and easier to read.
Nige

An alternative which you may see commonly is instead of using multiple references to a field with 'or' is to write something like

Select * from RG_TAB where CMCode in ( 4, 5 )

You can imagine when you have 5 or 6 possible values that this is much shorter and easier to read.
Nige

hi
thanks to all.
what i need is gained by using the query of IN and Not In.

AND means all the conditon must satisfy.

OR means any of the condition should satisfy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.